Fireplace for ICC Excel 8" flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ken Friedman

Feb 24, 2020
Warren, VT
I am replacing an old wood stove and want to build in a wood burning fireplace. We already have ICC Excel 8" flue that I want to use. But I'm having trouble finding a fireplace that can use it. The only one so far is a Renaissance Uptown 600 but it is very pricey. Any thoughts? Thanks

For any factory built fireplace, the chimney flue diameter is going to be determined by the door size when open. To get one that requires an 8" flue is going to be a fairly large fireplace physically. There are a few but am not sure what your budget is. SBI makes one under the Valcourt line - the FP1 Manoir comes to mind. There are others but I am not sure what you need budget wise. Some will specify specific brands of chimney to be used based upon their testing and others (typically companies who do not also make chimney) will only require chimneys tested to a certain standard. ICC EXCEL is tested to ULC S629 - one of the most rigorous test standards in the world so should work for any fireplace which needs 8 inch flue and does not specifically state brands.

I think RSF has some fireplaces that specify ICC Excel. Check the spec for the SBI fireplaces, some are 6" chimney.

For any factory built fireplace, the chimney flue diameter is going to be determined by the door size when open. To get one that requires an 8" flue is going to be a fairly large fireplace physically. There are a few but am not sure what your budget is. SBI makes one under the Valcourt line - the FP1 Manoir comes to mind. There are others but I am not sure what you need budget wise. Some will specify specific brands of chimney to be used based upon their testing and others (typically companies who do not also make chimney) will only require chimneys tested to a certain standard. ICC EXCEL is tested to ULC S629 - one of the most rigorous test standards in the world so should work for any fireplace which needs 8 inch flue and does not specifically state brands.
Thanks for the info. Of course, the price of these units is the issue. Valcourt has one that is $US 3,200 but I was hoping for something half that price.

Thanks for the info. Of course, the price of these units is the issue. Valcourt has one that is $US 3,200 but I was hoping for something half that price.
There is nothing that I know of in an EPA ZC fireplace in that price range. The lowest is probably the Flame Monaco which is the Valcourt sibling which also has a 6" round flue. Or are you not looking for a clean burning ZC, just a fireplace?

Yeah a high efficiency prefab for around $1600 isn't going to happen. Especially not a big one that uses 8"

You will find this a lot with contractor fireplaces. SL300 is air-cooled. Excel 8" is not a substitute.