Fireplace Insert, and I can only find ancient ones or very very expensive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Quadling

Oct 7, 2022
West Chester pa
I want to put an insert in our new house's fireplace. The flue is very old flue tile, and it can only take a 6 inch liner. I want to put a pretty clean burning insert in, and right now, money is tight. (I did mention new house? Did I also mention new baby?) :)

I went on ebay, craigslist, offerup, and facebook marketscam. I can find a couple, but most of them are fisher or others that I can identify as ancient. I see a quadra fire 3100 for 900 dollars, waiting to hear back from him. I saw an avalon (no idea how old or how good that is). Any ideas on where to find a decent, not hugely expensive one?

Thanks!!!

Best value for new inserts is the Drolet 1800i. Or the true north TN20. I did the Drolet 2 years ago. I’m happy with it. Plan on insulating the liner or verify proper clearances 1” to all combustibles for an exterior chimney this includes all/framing siding and roof sheeting, 2” for interior chimney. It’s an extra $350-400 for 25’. It’s an investment that take time to see a return, but doing right the first time is the most Economical approach. Don’t rush. You have time. Now is not the time of year to be finding deals.

Where will you be getting wood? You need to have space to store 2 years worth of wood.

Reactions: Quadling
If the Quad 3100i is in good condition then that is a good, clean burner. The Avalon was Travis industries value line up until about 5 yrs. ago, but still a good strong stove and easy to service. A new Century CW2100 will cost about $1400.

Make sure the insert will fit before purchasing and have the chimney thoroughly cleaned before installing the liner. Note that these stoves need dry, well seasoned firewood to burn properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quadling
Best value for new inserts is the Drolet 1800i. Or the true north TN20. I did the Drolet 2 years ago. I’m happy with it. Plan on insulating the liner or verify proper clearances 1” to all combustibles for an exterior chimney this includes all/framing siding and roof sheeting, 2” for interior chimney. It’s an extra $350-400 for 25’. It’s an investment that take time to see a return, but doing right the first time is the most Economical approach. Don’t rush. You have time. Now is not the time of year to be finding deals.

Where will you be getting wood? You need to have space to store 2 years worth of wood.
Sorry extra 350-400 for 25'? Are you talking about the cost of the liner, or the insulation? Great advice thank you!!! I have space for wood. I have a large backyard and plenty of grass I hate mowing.

If the Quad 3100i is in good condition then that is a good, clean burner. The Avalon was Travis industries value line up until about 5 yrs. ago, but still a good strong stove and easy to service. A new Century CW2100 will cost about $1400.

Make sure the insert will fit before purchasing and have the chimney thoroughly cleaned before installing the liner. Note that these stoves need dry, well seasoned firewood to burn properly.
Im going to visit the quadra this weekend to Inspect. Chimney is clean and it's a solid brick chimney lines with clay flue tiles. And I'm putting a stainless liner in. The mortar between the flue tiles has come loose and a liner is easier to do than fix that.

I am going to buy seasoned firewood for the first year or so. But I'm looking forward to splitting my own. Thank you!!!

Be careful buying the firewood. Seasoned does not mean much. A seller could have just split it last month and called it seasoned. Before accepting, take a few, thick and heavy splits and resplit them in half. Test for moisture content in the middle of the freshly exposed face of the wood.

Sorry extra 350-400 for 25'? Are you talking about the cost of the liner, or the insulation? Great advice thank you!!! I have space for wood. I have a large backyard and plenty of grass I hate mowing.
It’s the cost of the insulation wrap.
Im going to visit the quadra this weekend to Inspect. Chimney is clean and it's a solid brick chimney lines with clay flue tiles. And I'm putting a stainless liner in. The mortar between the flue tiles has come loose and a liner is easier to do than fix that.

I am going to buy seasoned firewood for the first year or so. But I'm looking forward to splitting my own. Thank you!!!

Get a moisture meter and tell the sell you will be checking before it’s dropped.

As others have said, watch the firewood, unfortunately the chance of buying firewood that will be ready to burn this winter is very low. They will all say that there wood is ready to burn but that normally is not true and dry firewood is the #1 most important thing for successfully heating with wood. Draft is the second most important so spend the extra on insulating the liner, you won't regret it.