Fireplace insert causing gas furnace thermostat location problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reed102

Sep 19, 2006
Greenville, Oh
Installing a woodburning fireplace insert and I know it's going to cause a conflict with the gas furnace thermostat. The insert is not big enough to heat the whole house and we will be using the gas furnace to handle areas where the heat from the insert can not reach. A thought I have is to relocate the thermostat. Anyone else had to do this and what problems did you encounter.

As long as you have a spot that you want to locate it, somewhat distant from the stove, the install shouldn't be too bad. Like all wiring projects, it depends on what you need to do to run the wire to the new location. If you have access either below or above (attic or basement crawl-space), you can get some electrical boxes that clamp to the sheetrock to mount the thermostat.

Fortunately, our home has a full basement and running wire does not present too much of a problem. I suppose there is some sort of a guide that heating and cooling people use on choosing the location best suited for a thermostat. I'll try to run down some websites cause I also have to consider the air conditioning in the summer.

The best place for a thermostat is usually near the cold air return. What you might do if you want to experiment is get 50 or 75 feet of wire (its cheap), hook it up the the furnace and just run the wire through the house and experiment with different locations with the stove running.

That is an excellent suggestion, thank you. One thing I just found while surfing the net are wireless thermostats. Might look more into those. Thanks again you have been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.