Fireplace Insert Panels - best way to seal the panels against the brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forrest77

Aug 17, 2014
OH
I just installed a "new" Regency insert that picked up on CL and Im looking for the best way to seal up the area between the panels and the brick.

I heard of a "weather stripping" product but do not know the name and read that some have used high temp silicone.

Any suggestions on the best way to seal the panels?

Attached is a picture of the insert with the panels placed against the wall but not bolted on yet.

Attachments

• regencyinsert.jpeg
    regencyinsert.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 718
you dont seal them. You should seal around the liner with insulation and a blockoff plate

Then at least get some roxul or ceramic wool and stuff it in there to seal it. The best way would be to make a sheet metal blockoff plate and insulate above it. You do have a full liner correct?

Good is it insulated? Regardless of whether it is or not you definitely want to seal around the liner where it passes through the old damper. Just insulation works ok but cutting a plate out of sheet metal to cover that insulation is even better

Hi had a Regency insert installed last year. The surround comes with a piece of fiber glass insulation. That's all I had last year but there is still plenty of cold air that comes through.

Do yourself a favour and install a block-off plate, or at the very least some Roxul (or other acceptable insulation) above the damper plate. I installed one myself last weekend (with a helper). It took about 3 hours and we're not pros. I made a small fire to test it out and I can notice a measurable difference in heat output.

Slightly off your original topic, but are you planning on putting a hearth pad on the carpet in front of the stove? If i recall from the manual, as your insert is more than 3 or so inches off the ground you don't need thermal protection but still need ember protection there.

Enjoy the insert, I am very happy with the smaller version (i2400).

Status
Not open for further replies.