Fireplace insert touching surround, or touching wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benains

Sep 24, 2015
London, uK
Hello.

I have recently removed our solid fuel cast iron fireplace insert to replace the fireback, and ended up damaging the marble surround.

I now have a replacement wood surround, but if I was to sit the fireplace insert flush against the brick wall, it would be about 60mm away from the wood.

From what I understand, the 'done thing' is to bring the insert forward to meet the surround; and then fill the gap between the wall and insert (perhaps with fireproof plasterboard, then sealed with fire cement).

My worry is that this will bring the throat too far forwards (i.e. somewhat under the iron lintel, rather than the chimney) and a) smoke will be pushed into the room, and b) heat will be pushed up and ultimately damage the fireproof plaster.

Has anyone done this - or is one option to set the insert against the wall, and fill the gap between the surround and insert? Why don't people do this?

Welcome. Practices in the UK may be a bit different but this sounds questionable. In the US and Canada one can no longer install a stove in this manner, it is called a slammer install. Now there must be a liner to at least above the smokeshelf with a block-off plate at the damper area. But the strongly preferred method is to run a continuous stainless steel liner to the top of the chimney. This is not only much safer, but it helps the stove perform better, the flue stays cleaner, and there is no worry about sealing in the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.