Fireplace Liner Insulation Necessary 18 ft Masonary Chimney 13/13 Clay flu Exterior wall of house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WIT Performance

Nov 29, 2012
I have a 18ft Masonary Chimney on a exterior wall of my house w/ a 13x13 flu having a insert installed next week w/ a 6in flex SS liner.
The installer said he will insulate the top under cap and at the bottom where original damper was. He said it wouldn't be necessary to insulate the liner??
I'm on Long Island NY coldest normally is 20 degrees F to teens normally. I called a few installers and all seemed to say they normally don't insulate the liners??

I want this installed properly should i order 1/2 in insulation for the liner and have the installer use it??
Any particular bran better Found it at chimney liner direct.com for 227 for 25 ft

http://www.chimneylinerdirect.com/s...sulation-Kit-6in.-x-25ft.-.5in-Thickness.html

Attachments

• 2012-12-10_16-34-03_622.jpg
    2012-12-10_16-34-03_622.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 107
That is a lot of bricks exposed to the cold. I would insulate it. The size of the tiles should make it easy to slide an insulated liner down it.

That is a lot of bricks exposed to the cold. I would insulate it. The size of the tiles should make it easy to slide an insulated liner down it.

+1 I live on Long Island also and have seen installs on exterior chimneys done both with and without insulation. The insulated ones draft better in general. On cold starts it is quicker and easier to get the draft going. Sweeping the flue, on average, gives less accumulated creosote.

In a 13 x 13 flue it should be an easy job to drop an insulated liner in.

KaptJaq

+1 I live on Long Island also and have seen installs on exterior chimneys done both with and without insulation. The insulated ones draft better in general. On cold starts it is quicker and easier to get the draft going. Sweeping the flue, on average, gives less accumulated creosote.

In a 13 x 13 flue it should be an easy job to drop an insulated liner in.

KaptJaq
Thanks guys going to order one! Have you seen installers use regualr R30 fiberglass insualtion to insulate the damper and top of chimney?? Every place seems to use it I have called and not Rock wool Roxul??

Every place seems to use it I have called and not Rock wool Roxul??

I use Roxul at the damper and usually at the top also. The damper area gets pretty hot and I personally do not trust fiberglass there. At the top the gasses are much cooler. I do not have a problem with fiberglass there but usually have Roxul left over from the damper area so I just use it on the top.

I have not ordered flue components online but have not heard anything bad about chimney direct. Maybe somebody that has more experience will pipe in...

KaptJaq

And, they've got a good end of season sale going on now.

I believe the sale is at chimneylinerdepot.com

Whoops, yup.

I was able to purchase at a local chimney supply shop, for the install they provided me w/ metal tape is that all thats required to install it?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.