• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cottonjoe

Feb 7, 2024
Canada
Hi and thanks in advance for the help.

I got this indoor masonry fireplace that has an indoor masonry chimney in the living room. It is location in the middle of my house. I am preparing to make a hole in the back of the fireplace (on the dining room brick wall) to install a brand new wood cook stove 6 in stove pipe. I ordered a 25 ft Flex liner kit with the tee and detachable snout.

Dining Room
PXL_20240207_150554996.jpg
Living Room
PXL_20240207_150635645.jpg
Inside fireplace (the hole at the beginning of the dark area is my pilot hole from the dining room)
PXL_20240207_150657118.jpg

The idea is to get the chimney SS liner tee into the fireplace chamber to have easy access to the bottom cap and get the tee snout to cross the 21 inches of bricks and concrete blocks with a SS rigid Pipe extension since the snout is only 10" long. There are no combustible materials whatsoever inside this wall. Around it, the closest the pipe would be from combustible is 3 feet away.
Two questions:

Is it an appropriate setup?

What kind of clearance do I need from my SS rigid Pipe to the bricks and concrete blocks inside the wall
?

I would like to keep it as narrow as possible like 6 3/8". If need be, I was thinking about making a hole about 8.5" wide and insulating 1" around the pipe and snout with maybe this Ceramic Fiber Blanket (Amazon) so that the concrete blocks wouldn't break due to excessive heat.

Thank you again

Hi and thanks in advance for the help.

I got this indoor masonry fireplace that has an indoor masonry chimney in the living room. It is location in the middle of my house. I am preparing to make a hole in the back of the fireplace (on the dining room brick wall) to install a brand new wood cook stove 6 in stove pipe. I ordered a 25 ft Flex liner kit with the tee and detachable snout.

Dining Room
View attachment 324463
Living Room
View attachment 324464
Inside fireplace (the hole at the beginning of the dark area is my pilot hole from the dining room)
View attachment 324465

The idea is to get the chimney SS liner tee into the fireplace chamber to have easy access to the bottom cap and get the tee snout to cross the 21 inches of bricks and concrete blocks with a SS rigid Pipe extension since the snout is only 10" long. There are no combustible materials whatsoever inside this wall. Around it, the closest the pipe would be from combustible is 3 feet away.
Two questions:

Is it an appropriate setup?

What kind of clearance do I need from my SS rigid Pipe to the bricks and concrete blocks inside the wall
?

I would like to keep it as narrow as possible like 6 3/8". If need be, I was thinking about making a hole about 8.5" wide and insulating 1" around the pipe and snout with maybe this Ceramic Fiber Blanket (Amazon) so that the concrete blocks wouldn't break due to excessive heat.

Thank you again
As long as it's solid masonry with no combustible wall in between it can be pretty tight. I usually add a 1/2" or so