Fireplace New Construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
My wife and i are remodeling an older addition on our house. We are making it our living room. Currently the main part of our house is heated by a pellet stove. This addition is unheated but does feature a masonry chimney with a clay flue. We have frequent power outages so my wife has suggested heating the addition with something that does not require electric. Our options are wood or vent-less propane. We are working on a slim budget so the obvious easy answer is vent-less propane, but I am unsure given the negative things i have heard.

My wife has decided she likes the look of a fireplace with the tv above it (i should mention the current chimney is dead center of the room on the only wall a tv could be placed) So I am looking at framing out from the wall getting a firebox dropping a stainless steel liner... worried about the cost of such a project

another option would be to use a free standing stove but that would eliminate the placement of the tv in that spot. Unless we move the stove to a new location not utilize the current chimney.

a local dealer is going out of business and offered a tiny stove by morso for $800. never heard of the company and Im not sure about that price.

advice? opinions?

o and ho makes a fireplace for new construction something that is close to zero clearance?

Thanks!

This sounds like you may be confusing a wood burning insert with a zero-clearance fireplace. If so, don't feel bad, even ZC fireplace marketers do this. If this is a masonry fireplace you don't want a ZC fireplace, you want either a wood burning insert or a freestanding stove. To help advise It would be easiest to start with full dimensions HWD, (front and back) for the fireplace as well at clearances from the center of the fireplace to any wood on the sides. Include the mantel height if any. A picture or two of the existing fireplace would also be very helpful.

Morso is a very good Danish company, but their stoves can be on the small side. What model is this? Also, how large is the addition in sq ft? Does it have high or normal height ceilings?

Last edited:
This sounds like you may be confusing a wood burning insert with a zero-clearance fireplace. If so, don't feel bad, even ZC fireplace marketers do this. If this is a masonry fireplace you don't want a ZC fireplace, you want either a wood burning insert or a freestanding stove. To help advise It would be easiest to start with full dimensions HWD, (front and back) for the fireplace as well at clearances from the center of the fireplace to any wood on the sides. Include the mantel height if any. A picture or two of the existing fireplace would also be very helpful.

Morso is a very good Danish company, but their stove are on the small side. What model is this? Also, how large is the addition in sq ft? Does it have high or normal height ceilings?

I do not curently like have a fireplace. i have a exterior masonry chimney with a clay lined flue. My idea is to build out the wall to accommodate a ZC fireplace and vent out through the existing chimney.

the room im looking to heat is around 150 sqf

right now it has normal height ceilings but my wife wishes to vault them which in our case would only be 9 or 10 feet.

morso 1410 $817

OK, got it. I think that is a no-go. ZC fireplaces have some pretty strict chimney requirements. I can't recall seeing your plan as an option. They require a straight up, metal chimney with a maximum 30 deg offset.

I would put in a nice hearth and connect the stove to the chimney at about the 4-5 ft level. The 1410 is pretty tiny and takes only short fuel (12") . May I suggest you look at the Englander 17VL? It will handle larger wood and is a really nice small stove that will easily heat your space and a bit more if the addition can be opened up to the main house. The quality is good and the price is right too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englander-1-200-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Stove-17-VL/202051504

Last edited:
So, I can use my existing chimney with a free standing stove but not with a ZC fireplace.

Correct, stove only. The existing chimney may need a liner to make it safe and/or draft better.

Correct, stove only. The existing chimney may need a liner to make it safe and/or draft better.

I like the look and price of the stove you suggested. It does elminate that location as a site for the television..

if we decide not to use the existing chimney but rather use a different location for the stove would that be roughly the the same price (pipes and all) as a SS liner for the existing chimney?

Unlikely, chimney pipe is expensive. How much depends on the height of the run and whether it is interior or exterior. The latter being more expensive.

The idea of building a masonry fireplace and then putting an insert in it seems odd. It may be cheaper to remove the chimney and install a ZC fireplace if that is the look you want. As well, ZC units have better heat distribution options. I'd seriously look into them.
I think you're misunderstanding what he's saying, he wanted to utilize the flue he has and go with a ZC which as BG said is a no go. BG's advice is the most logical way to do it and probably the most economical.

I think you're misunderstanding what he's saying, he wanted to utilize the flue he has and go with a ZC which as BG said is a no go. BG's advice is the most logical way to do it and probably the most economical.

I understand that. Building a fully code compliant wood burning fireplace isn't cheap, and I'm not sure how your would integrate it into an existing flue. That's what is needed before installing an insert. Smoke shelf and all.

The whole project needs lots of research.

Building a full masonry fireplace just to put an insert in would be expensive and a waste of money IMO. The odds of the existing masonry chimney being right-sized is probably slim too.

My thoughts on it are that part of the motivating factor for the OP is power outages... ZC's and inserts do not excel in that arena.

sorry my questions caused so much confusion...

due to the overwhelming cost of framing for a ZC fireplace we have decided against it. We are going to heat with baseboard electric ... for emergency's a Generator to run the pellet stove...

A fireplace and a book yes, a fireplace and a tv ???

o and I thought i would mention that I have literally seen thousands of tvs over fireplaces using everything from would to gas... it is not uncommon... search the internet or watch DIY.

sorry my questions caused so much confusion...

due to the overwhelming cost of framing for a ZC fireplace we have decided against it. We are going to heat with baseboard electric ... for emergency's a Generator to run the pellet stove...

Sounds like a plan. A generator is good for keeping food refrigerated/frozen too.

Status
Not open for further replies.