Fireplace project- how to lower the top of the fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rayz

Feb 8, 2020
Illinois
I decided to hummer down my old-style boulder-faced fireplace. The project took two days, but when I was finished, i realized, the the actual fireplace opening is bigger that it was before, because it was faced over the top of the opening. Now, I can’t just leave it, since I need to put TV over it, and currently there is not enough ceiling height (and no one wants to watch TV 10’ in the air). Any advice on what can I do to cover the opening and make it like 30” instead of 36”? Maybe do metal framing and durock it? I am stuck.

E13B5B32-8CD0-430D-9E00-12F27C098568.jpeg 64114356-B054-43A6-B652-39AEE17EE186.jpeg

First of all, I'm not a fan of putting a TV above a wood burning fireplace or insert. I would think there would be a great amount of heat. Of course you need to adhere to any combustible clearance guidelines, are you putting in a new insert or fireplace?

What do you plan to face the fireplace with? It’s normal for the block structures lintel height to be above the facing lintel. Otherwise you would see both lintels.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the heat above the opening with an open fireplace, it’s sucking so much room air through the opening it doesn’t get very warm.