Fireplace question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Stumbled across something on here yesterday that has me wondering if I should line my fireplace with sheet metal to get some additional heat back into the house.

We have a Jotul Castine that's vented into the house's existing fireplace. I was thinking I could buy some sheet metal, paint it stove black and then secure it to the brick. Would this make much of a difference, or would it be a waste of time?

Of course, the wife will probably put the kibosh on it anyway.

You might get better results with a damper block off plate located low at the lintel level, especially if the stove already has a rear heat shield attached.

Hi Begreen.

There is a block-off plate where the pipe feeds into the chimney, but that's a good point about the stove. I think it already has a rear heat shield. I'll check the specs. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.