Fireplace Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jprice828108

Jan 2, 2016
Ohio
I recently purchased a house, and had the chimney cleaned and looked over by a guy who builds masonry fireplaces and lays block for a living. He said everything looked good and he wouldn't hesitate to build a fire. The fireplace is a steel firebox with vents that go up both sides of the fire box. I will post pictures once they become available for me to add. These vents have fans and the temperatures rapidly climbed to the point that the wire nuts on the fan wires completely melted. The temperature of the mantle also got quite hot. Looking for advice on what to do with this fireplace. I am guessing it is not safe to use as it currently sits, and it's heat output dropped drastically once the fans were no longer able to be used to move air. I live in a rural area and have access to an abundant supply of firewood. I was hoping to be able to wood as a supplement to my electric heat. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like an old heatilator. Post some pics and we can give you some ideas. Likely the best one if it's solid masonry is to take the box out and install an insert with a stainless chimney liner. Fireplaces tend to suck more warm air out of the house than they produce.

IMG_3867.JPG IMG_3868.JPG IMG_3869.JPG
Sorry new to this forum, and started using it on my cell phone. Switched to my laptop and figured out how to add the photos. also the bottom side of the mantle at one point was over 200 degrees. I was quite excited by the heat output until the blowers stopped working and I realized how hot everything was getting. At that point I couldn't wait for the fire to burn down and for everything to cool off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right to be worried that is a pretty high temp being that far from the fire box. I'm suspecting that the firebox may be compromised. They were a double wall insert. Here is a pic of how they should look and work;

pic2652j.jpg

And here is how most of them end up

ThomasHeatilator.jpg

Reactions: begreen
Others have shared this and similar articles in other posts. https://www.doctorfire.com/low_temp_wood1.pdf
That mantle temp is way too hot! If you want to burn wood, find out what it would take to properly install an EPA insert in there and enjoy!

Just for reference the brick above my insert within 6" usually gets in the 150 range. at mantle height it is around 80-90.

Just for reference the brick above my insert within 6" usually gets in the 150 range. at mantle height it is around 80-90.

Thanks for the temperatures. I have little experience with wood fireplaces and stoves. I expected temperatures in the range that you quoted, and was pretty sure the temperatures I was seeing were not normal.

A fireplace insert would solve the safety issue and should provide better heating.

I agree, a fireplace insert will be the best and safest way to supplement your heat. If there are heat reclaiming tubes above the firebox, you will likely have to cut one out. That should be about the only challenge of installing a wood burning fireplace insert and a stainless steel flexible chimney liner.

And ma
I agree, a fireplace insert will be the best and safest way to supplement your heat. If there are heat reclaiming tubes above the firebox, you will likely have to cut one out. That should be about the only challenge of installing a wood burning fireplace insert and a stainless steel flexible chimney liner.
And make sure the liner is insulated you already know you have issues with heat transfer so make sure it is taken care of

Status
Not open for further replies.