Fireplace remodel - framing + hearth removal question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emacaoidh

Sep 16, 2018
Carmel
Hello all

Long time lurker here.

I’m planning on replacing an old gas insert with a wood insert. Likely going for the Regency CI1250 for our 1250sf home.

I have two questions;

1) I need to frame in for the new insert(blue outlines in the picture), and I cannot find any guidance online whether to do wood framing, or metal framing for a wood insert. I see gas inserts are framed with wood, but cannot find anything for wood inserts. The spec sheet and mania for the CI1250 does not cover this. Once all framed in, I’ll stucco the entire area...What do you smart people suggest for framing material?

2) I am hoping to remove the hearth(red outlines in the picture), and so have an elevated fireplace replacing the hearth with cement tile flush with our wood floor. Any guidance or advice on doing this?
I’m hoping it’s just empty cinder blocks underneath to make for an easy removal.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• C6602FD8-F197-4A17-901E-2FCCBB05D865.jpeg
    C6602FD8-F197-4A17-901E-2FCCBB05D865.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 85
Hello all

Long time lurker here.

I’m planning on replacing an old gas insert with a wood insert. Likely going for the Regency CI1250 for our 1250sf home.

I have two questions;

1) I need to frame in for the new insert(blue outlines in the picture), and I cannot find any guidance online whether to do wood framing, or metal framing for a wood insert. I see gas inserts are framed with wood, but cannot find anything for wood inserts. The spec sheet and mania for the CI1250 does not cover this. Once all framed in, I’ll stucco the entire area...What do you smart people suggest for framing material?

2) I am hoping to remove the hearth(red outlines in the picture), and so have an elevated fireplace replacing the hearth with cement tile flush with our wood floor. Any guidance or advice on doing this?
I’m hoping it’s just empty cinder blocks underneath to make for an easy removal.

Thanks in advance!!
An insert needs to be put in a code compliant woodburning fireplace. You need to build any additions you make out of masonry. And it needs to have the proper thickness required by code. What size flue does that fireplace have will you have room to run as n insulated liner through it for the wood insert? You can go down to a 5.5" liner for recency products if that helps.