Fireplace to Wood Insert Mason question--

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pantucci

Feb 22, 2018
Utica, NY
Hello forum!

I want to switch my fireplace to a wood-burning insert. (See pics below). The local Hearth co. was concerned about the wood framing (4x4 between the 1 layer of brick and the FP) and were pretty useless otherwise for answers. They suggested I have a mason take a look at it. Before I do, any warning signs, tips, etc from masons out there that can take a look and give some advice on my situation? thx

IMG_7909.JPG IMG_7910.JPG
IMG_7911.JPG
Before I do, can anyone with a masonry background take a look and shed any light? thx

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the make and model of the fireplace?

If this is a wood zc fireplace, then the option to install an insert will require looking at the fireplace documents to see if this is even allowed.

Given the way it looks on the surface, it looks like the brick is just a facade and there's probably little masonry in there. Plus the way the actual fireplace looks. Hence begreen's question about whether it's a zero clearance unit, and if so, need to check the documentation.

The biggest giveaway that this is a zero clearance unit though is the wood framing.

If you have someone inspect it, don't have it be a mason - the person should be a certified sweep. A mason may have a general concept of fire codes at best.

Also chimney, what kind of chimney do you have? full brick masonry with clay tiles (inside guts) would lead me to believe its possibly a masonry fireplace, all metal chimney surrounded by a wood chase would make me believe its a zero clearance unit.

It clearly is a zero clearance fireplace. And most of them do not allow wood around the opening like that. But without a make and model we cant be sure of that. I am positive you cant put an insert in it like that and i am doubtfull it is safe to use as is.

It clearly is a zero clearance fireplace. And most of them do not allow wood around the opening like that. But without a make and model we cant be sure of that. I am positive you cant put an insert in it like that and i am doubtfull it is safe to use as is.

I've wondered this since zc units come up a lot, but can you rip out a zc unit and replace it with one of the EPA fireplaces that kind of are inserts? Obviously provided the new one is also zc. Is that a viable option?

I've wondered this since zc units come up a lot, but can you rip out a zc unit and replace it with one of the EPA fireplaces that kind of are inserts? Obviously provided the new one is also zc. Is that a viable option?
Yes you ca n replace the whole unit but not with an insert. You need to replace it with a fireplace