Q&A Fireplace too small for Gas Logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1939 HOME THAT HAS A FIREPLACE WITH A GAS LINE ALREADY SET UP. THE BACK OF THE FIREPLACE OPENING IS 26" IN LENGTH AND THE FRONT IS 29.5" IN LENGTH.THE DEPTH OF THE OPENING IS 10.5". MY QUESTION IS: THE OPENING THAT ALLOWS FOR HEAT TO GO UP THE CHIMNEY IS VERY SMALL. IT IS ABOUT 2.5" IN WIDTH AND 10-12" IN LENGTH. I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL A VENTED OR VENT FREE GAS LOG SET BUT DO NOT KNOW IF THE SIZE OF MY FIREPLACE IS BIG ENOUGH AND IF THE VENT OPENING IS APPROPRIATE. COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE ON WHAT YOU THINK I COULD DO....

Answer:

It sounds small. However, a vent-free or partially vented set like the Monesson Smartfire might be a good choice. These sets need only a small amount of venting and your fireplace may be able to provide that. Check to make certain they will work with that shallow depth. Stay away from fully vented logs for this fireplace.
One new site that specializes in small fireplaces is:
http://www.thevictorianfireplace.com/

Link: Small Fireplace Link

Status
Not open for further replies.