Fireplace use banned......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old School

Burning Hunk
Jul 15, 2015
Georgia
Over the holiday we visited some friends who had rented a cabin a few hours away in a vacation community. It was rather cold and I commented that we should build a fire in the living room fireplace where everyone was congregated. I was then shown a flyer they had been given by the HOA of the neighborhood stating that any fire was banned to include grills, outdoor fryers, and even use of indoor fireplaces due to dry conditions and risk of fire.

I was shocked by indoor fireplaces being included. I could understand the outdoor fire ban, and I guess I can see where they are concerned about improper ash disposal. It seemed to me that a flyer detailing how to properly dispose of ash would have been more fitting than a ban on the use of the fireplace.

The reason I am mentioning this is to get some thoughts on the chances of an ember surviving the trip up the 25' flue then floating down to the ground and still having enough life to spark a fire. We debated the chances while there and I think it highly unlikely. Maybe if there is a full blown chimney fire but not just from having a fire going in the fireplace. To me it took away some of the allure of being in a mountain cabin and not being able to have a fire. I feel like it was an overreaction by the association. Because of this I would not consider ever renting a cabin there in the future.

Any thoughts from the experts?

It can happen from a regular fire but it is very uncommon. From a chimney fire absolutely and from improper disposal of ashed absolutely. The fact is that a hoa can make any rules they want pertaining to burning. It is possible they have had problems in the past with it and dont want a repeat of them. Especially in rentals where you have people burning that dont usually you can end up with issues.

A renter burning trash in the fireplace or using a lot of newspaper and cardboard to start a fire can create a lot of floating, hot embers or ash floating out of the chimney. Given the severity of the fires in NC I can see the need to exercise great caution until conditions change.

Reactions: davisc1513
It is sad that they made the rules thinking of the few who don't understand that impact the many that would use responsibly.

Hopefully it's only temporary. Wildfires can be seriously devastating. We've lost entire communities to them.

It is sad that they made the rules thinking of the few who don't understand that impact the many that would use responsibly.
Yes but how is one to know which people know what they are doing and which ones don't? It is much better in my opinion to be safe rather than sorry.

My HOH has fire bans in the spring and for the first time a few weeks ago. As far as I know the ban is for outside open fires. It normally is a few weeks. Where up in the mountains with huge tracks of game lands. A fire here would be bad. I think there doing the right thing.

To answer the original question . . . sparks or embers from a chimney in normal burning causing a fire is not very likely. Sparks or embers from a chimney fire starting a wildfire could be a little more likely (although the more likely possibility is damage to the structure.)

A wildfire or structure fire started by the improper disposal of woodstove ash/coals . . . much more likely.

The rainstorm rolling through here right now should hit ETN and GA tonight/early tomorrow morning. That should end all the fires and burn bans in ETN and NGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.