FireplaceX Large Flush Wood Hybrid-Fyre

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
so you are burning with no air gaps between splits in the box? I was under the impression air space was necessary......
Not at all, they say it on XPF website video. You going to have faster and hotter fire with more space between splits, and slower and gradual with less. Again, wood should be dry. Wet wood in tight pile not going to burn great

For other readers I do recommend a stove without a catalytic converter. I have the 2009 Lopi Freedom insert. Reviewed as the cleanest stove available that year, about 1/9 the emissions of earlier generations of stoves. You cannot see or smell the air that comes out of our chimney. When people come to visit, they're not aware there's a fire until they step in the living room.

Obviously, if there's smoke in the firebox it will tend to go up the chimney. So this is partly about how to build fires and how long to season wood.

Being in the city it was crucial to us to put the lowest pollution possible into our neighbors' air.

For other readers I do recommend a stove without a catalytic converter. I have the 2009 Lopi Freedom insert. Reviewed as the cleanest stove available that year, about 1/9 the emissions of earlier generations of stoves. You cannot see or smell the air that comes out of our chimney. When people come to visit, they're not aware there's a fire until they step in the living room.

Obviously, if there's smoke in the firebox it will tend to go up the chimney. So this is partly about how to build fires and how long to season wood.

Being in the city it was crucial to us to put the lowest pollution possible into our neighbors' air.
The freedom and many other cat stoves work very well I have used quite a few. But you do realize most cat stoves do exactly the same things your noncat does right. And honestly most cat stoves now run cleaner than noncats. The whole cat/noncat thing comes down to personal needs and preference.