Fireview Ash removal / container

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
Hello Fellow woodstove burners,

I am in the market for a new Ash container. So far the price of replacing my old rusted one is deterring me as it's about $150.

Note the door opening for my fireview is only 9" inch , I prefer not to get one much higher. This spec seems to limit my options.

I am looking for lower cost options. So any one care to share there fireview ash container options ?

This pic is my current one that I want to replace.

upload_2018-12-9_10-33-15.png

Reactions: Slocum
I sold my Fireview to my BIL, and don't shovel the Keystone, obviously. But I used a long, shallow pan which I held under the door with one hand so that any escaping ash dust would get sucked back into the stove. Then I scraped the big coals to the back of the box with the side of the shovel. Then got a shovel-full of ash, put the end of the shovel in the bottom of the pan, tilted the shovel up and carefully slid the ash off into the bottom of the pan while moving the shovel down the length of the pan. I got pretty good at it, and seldom had much ash dust at all escaping. I had the pan resting on a cardboard box here, so I could snap a pic.

P1030883.JPG

Woody Stover, Good point having the pan the same height of the door helps control the ash dust as it tends to be sucked back into the stove.

Thanks for sharing your method.

The more I think about this , the more a refurbishing of the existing one might work out well. A little sandblasting , paint and replaced wood on the handle should bring it back to life. Still amazed that a new one is $150 +.

Hello Fellow woodstove burners,

I am in the market for a new Ash container. So far the price of replacing my old rusted one is deterring me as it's about $150.

Note the door opening for my fireview is only 9" inch , I prefer not to get one much higher. This spec seems to limit my options.

I am looking for lower cost options. So any one care to share there fireview ash container options ?

This pic is my current one that I want to replace.

View attachment 235265

I have one made by Woodstock. I’m very happy with it. It came with my ideal steel when I bought it so I’m not sure about the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use one of the coal hod looking buckets. The angled and narrowed end will just fit inside the stove while shoveling out ashes. The draft of the chimney is good enough to help draw any dust up the flue. I think new they are $20-$30. Never have used the built in ash pan on the 91.