Firewood at 29% - how much longer to season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. Just as the title says. I got a cord of firewood from a friend for free. Split into quarters. I split one fresh and the moisture inside is 29%. Did a few more, all between 27 - 29%.

He said it had been seasoning a year. Any idea how much longer until its good? What % moisture does green wood start at? Maybe I can estimate based off that.

The wood is Walnut if that helps. Thanks all

I have never tested green walnut but I have gotten 40s in green oak. I don't get ever get walnut in my stacks.....I would be surprised if I have a single walnut on my place......but obviously it wont be ready until at least next year if not the season after.

Stack it in open location(wind, sun) and it should be ready for next winter. I have had good luck with walnut seasoning quickly.

You want it below 20% for sure....if its in quarters I would finish splitting it down depending upon the size of the quarters...

He said it had been seasoning a year
If its not been split is has dried almost none...but I agree with these guys, probably another year to make it right.

The fiber saturation point (fsp) averages between 26-35% for most woods.
Above that water evaporates through the capillaries. This can be a fairly quick process. Taking green wood at 40-70% to 30% could happen in weeks to a few months.
Below that it needs to migrate through the cell walls and out. A long process - months to years.
Below the fsp, wood will start to shrink, and cracking can occur. A concern for lumber, but a sign of drying for cordwood.
Sounds like you are just starting into the second phase.
Splitting the wood smaller speeds the process along.

Below that it needs to migrate through the cell walls and out.
this is why oak takes longer to season then other wood species, White oak takes the longest due to the cellular structure being closed, so water needs to essentially dry through osmosis which takes longer, red oak is open cellular, but tighter grain so it wont give up water as easy either.

I burn a lot of black walnut. Your wood should be dry in a year.
It is good firewood I like to burn it.

Thanks everyone for your input it means a lot. Kind of disappointed to find out it needs another year.

Was already split a year ago according to him so was hoping it'd be ready to go in a month or two. Looks like I need to get more firewood for the season...

Yeah wood takes longer than you think to properly season. If you can, try to estimate how much you’ll burn per winter, then try to get a few years ahead. I know that’s easier said than done. We burn 4 cord per year, and I’ve got 16 cord stacked on the property. The stuff we will burn this year is 4 years old, stuff for next year is 3 years old, stuff for year after next is 2 years old, etc. in the spring I’ll cut, split and stack 4 more cords to burn 4 years later. It’s a good system if you can do it

It's sad, but I don't trust anyone that says their wood is seasoned. I purchase a year prior.

I dont have room for 4 years worth but I do keep 3 years ahead. And I get ash if available.

Reactions: BIGChrisNH
It's sad, but I don't trust anyone that says their wood is seasoned. I purchase a year prior.
It’s never seasoned. A lot of people sincerely think that the tree being cut down in log form for a year counts as drying. Then they split it and sell it as having been “seasoned” for a year. That mentality seems to be common in my area

One of the larger firewood guys in the area has these massive CS piles in a field getting full sun all day. Well at least the outer layer of wood is getting sun and wind. LOL.

It won’t be great firewood this year but if you need it, it will make some heat. Check the chimney more often. Startups will be a bit frustrating.

In a pinch you could always add 1 or 2 pieces to fully dry wood or throw in some pallet wood with it too. I burned some wet wood my first year. Chimney stayed fairly clean but I left the air open much more than when I had under 20% wood