Firewood Bark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've found the Pignut Hickory and Ash bark make very good fire starter. So yeah I burn it but save a lot of it for fire building. I just break it into small narrow strips and about 8-10" long.

Search on Bark in titles only in this forum. There are a lot of threads.

I hoard the bark from white birch for fire starting, its one step away from pouring kerosene on the fire. Everything else goes to fill in low spot.

Reactions: kborndale
What else are you supposed to do with it?

*imagining a reading of the will where some relative gets 30 years of saved up bark*

If bark falls off while wood is in my stacks I either throw it in the woods or use it as poor man’s wood chips for the erosion on the hill my wood sits on.
If bark is still on wood when I go to burn it, it goes in the stove.

I hoard the bark from white birch for fire starting, its one step away from pouring kerosene on the fire. Everything else goes to fill in low spot.

Birch bark is great, I don't have any here on my property on LI but I use it all the time for firestarting at the ski house in VT.

Search on Bark in titles only in this forum. There are a lot of threads.
So you can delete this. I know I looked it up, but I didn’t find anything,