Anyone burn bark?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
It's not bad.

I had about 6 trash cans of bark that I had collected to chip up, but then one of the chipper's teeth got chipped, and I just kept it in those trash cans for awhile. This was bark that fell off the splits when I was stacking in the garage, last year I think.

Anyway, it burns good, but more work, naturally.
I'm down to the last can. Then, I have two cans of uglies which should be more of a treat, if dry.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
It's not bad.

I had about 6 trash cans of bark that I had collected to chip up, but then one of the chipper's teeth got chipped, and I just kept it in those trash cans for awhile. This was bark that fell off the splits when I was stacking in the garage, last year I think.

I'm down to the last can. Then, I have two cans of uglies which should be more of a treat, if dry.
I burn it. It are BTU's.

Im sure it burns decently when dried out, but remember part of the barks responsibility is to protect the tree from fire, that makes me think it isn't worth trying to burn in large volumes.

if it works then don't change a thing from your routine, I myself never gave it attention, perhaps your teaching me a thing.

Half the splits I burn have bark on them. I have a pile of just bark pieces that use to get a fire started or throw them on coals.

With my bottom grate design I get the refractory good and hot and throw in few shovels full. I then have to wait a bit as the fines partially plug up the grate and it gasifies. If I open the loading door too early I get a blowback as the firebox is full of hot gases without enough oxygen. It does burn hot.

It's not bad.

Bark is a valuable item here. White birch for starters, everything else except black walnut gets composted and shredded for potting soil and garden bed amendment.

Considerable time and effort, but haven't bought potting soil in years, and we do a lot of gardening. With some luck, will never have to pay for soil amendments. We also collect leaves with a leaf vac to add to the garden beds.

If we didn't garden, I'd burn it.

No part of the trees go to waste here.

I use bark for kindling. Works great as long as it is dry. I don't go out of my way to get it but there is usually an ample supply that pops off the wood when I move it around.

No one is saying what kind of bark. Some have higher ash content than others. Around here the only trees that survived prairie fires was burr oak, and it leaves a whole lot of ash when burned. Red oak is similar. Others, not so much. I go out of my way to remove oak bark, the rest don't seem to matter one way or other, at least by what is noticeable here. Also, I dont really burn just bark on pourpose. The amount that I get as ground cleanup is usually from the oaks, so that all goes to the brush pile.

Last edited:
Locust bark falls off in sheets and is thick. I end up with so much of it I've burnt tons in the chimenea. Rocket fuel.
upload_2018-12-30_22-23-6.png upload_2018-12-30_22-24-14.png upload_2018-12-30_22-25-23.png

Reactions: googlealchemist
Doug fir I knock off any loose stuff and leave any that is well attached. Burns good when dry like most any wood!

Reactions: AlbergSteve
If the bark is attached to the split . . . I burn it.

If the bark has fallen off . . . I generally leave it on the ground around my stacks as mulch.

There are a few exceptions . . . one being white or yellow birch as it is a fantastic fire starting material.

If it falls off a split, I use it to smash down the encroaching weeds near my splitting / stacking area. I don't make any special effort to keep / discard it.

Burn it, but there's a good amount lying around the stacks. I think it falls off and gets buried by snow.

Yes, this stuff all fell off when I was putting the wood into the garage last winter.
I also have some bark from this year from stacking, but it too is under what tiny amount of snow we have.
Out front by the road, where I split, I have a pretty big pile of uglies and bark from splitting this past summer.
I guess I'll try to get that in those trash cans for next year.
Waste not, want not, but it's a pain.

I believe I've run out of room to store another (split) log load, but I'll give it a close look.
Perhaps if I stored 3 cords on the driveway and moved 4 cords into the garage.....hmmmmm. :)

Consider the uglies yard cleanup, for spring! Maybe it'll be easier.

Reactions: velvetfoot
It would be rude for me, being a neighbor and all, to not offer to let you store a few cords of seasoned wood next to my stacks also, lol.

Reactions: velvetfoot