Firewood for Eggs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebroad

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
Carroll County, MD
My neighbor just came over trying to press a $10 bill in my hand. Seems they were having an outside fire, using what they had, but a lot of it was kind of wet, so they sent the kids out to find dry stuff. To her horror, my neighbors' brother "borrowed" 4 splits from one one my piles and tossed them on the fire. She yelled at him, and made him give her the money to give to me.
I told her don't worry about it and refused the cash, as they are generally good neighbors. She told me the kids have been raising chickens, and when the hens start laying, I will be getting eggs on a regular basis.
Not a bad deal for 4 splits.

I can buy fresh eggs cheaper than walmart eggs. Much, much better eating. Probably worth twice the WM price to me. You will get spoiled.

Reactions: ScotO
I can buy fresh eggs cheaper than walmart eggs. Much, much better eating. Probably worth twice the WM price to me. You will
get spoiled.

You are so lucky. Fresh eggs around here are about $3-5 doz.
You are right, I never really liked eggs much until I ate one that had been laid that morning. What a difference! Store eggs are okay, but when you fry them, they kind of smell like--well, the chicken's butt.;lol

Fresh eggs are great. Fresh free ranged eggs are even better. Apperently ticks, grass and bugs make better eggs than laying pellets, go figure.

Reactions: ScotO and firebroad
Good for you Sue and hopefully you'll also enjoy some fresh eggs.

Yes, there is a difference in eggs. My wife is bugging me right now wanting me to get the old chicken coop ready for maybe a dozen birds. I love the fresh eggs but.....I get to be the one who does all the work.

Store eggs are okay, but when you fry them, they kind of smell like--well, the chicken's butt.;lol

And up to in the morning I was enjoying my breakfast. <>

Free range eggs... mmmMMmmmm

Neighbor is an ER nurse. I walk her dog on the days she works.. she keeps us in eggs.

Last winter she had some slow weeks, we bought eggs once. Wife and I decided we would do without rather than buy anymore.

Funny thing is I was raised on real eggs.. and, well, just about everything else too.. that 20 years in the Army messed me up.

Food from factory farms does not taste good. Its just "cheap" . Even produce raised with chemical fertilizers and pesticides taste bland. Fresh eggs are the BOMB. Just as i was about to construct some pens my township banned FARM animals cuz some pinhead thought it was a good idea to wake the neighborhood up at 5 AM and started raising ROOSTERS.

Even eggs from "free range" farms around here don't have dates on them, and I have bought some relatively stale eggs. :mad:

That can happen to anyone from time to time Sue. Sometimes there can be an egg or two that just is not worth a hoot. We always just took it in stride because once in a while something goes wrong; sort of like life. Enjoy the good ones.

I've been buying local amish farm eggs for years, now I found a guy at work that has lots of chickens, he sells the eggs for 2 bucks a dozen, but the other day he tells me they are laying like crazy and he has 20 dozen.....so he cut the price in half to a buck a dozen!!

And I sold some prefinished leftover hardwood floor I had to a buddy of mine, and I gave him a great deal. Now he's sending eggs down all the time too......

I love eggs, but wow, that's a lot of eggs.......
Nothing better than local or free-range eggs.......

A couple days ago I had blood drawn for my yearly physical which I haven't had for 8 years.
I'm thinking regular eggs aren't going to be in my future.
It would be hard giving up my eggs and bacon on Sunday, though. I don't think I will. :)

Reactions: ScotO and WeldrDave
Free range eggs will never hurt you,, that cholesterol thing is a big pill money maker.. Eggs , bacon and bacon fat were consumed on a daily basis,,, farmers weren't dropping dead left and right... We sell our eggs as well,, everyone who has bought them always wants more.. They always say how they love the deep yellow - orange looking yokes.. I bring 2-3 dozen to my acupuncturists,,, they trade the eggs off on my bill.. Can't beat that!

Man I will trade eggs for wood. I got about a gross in the fridge and another 23 a day.....:eek:

A couple days ago I had blood drawn for my yearly physical which I haven't had for 8 years.
It would be hard giving up my eggs and bacon on Sunday, though. I don't think I will. :)
Its probably the bacon thats killing you and not the eggs. Bacon is a heart attack in a plastic wrapper,its a shame cuz its so damn tasty:)

Free range eggs will never hurt you,, that cholesterol thing is a big pill money maker..
Agreed, I went to a heart Dr a few years back and he was in the heart business for 35+ years. He said to me trust a "cow" not a chemist, In this case were talking eggs but the principal applies!
I asked him about eating my eggs, "which" I love... He said in moderation. With that said, he did warn me about processed foods, to much animal fat, and he absolutely "hated" all these types of margerine spreads. He said your body can easier digest plain old butter than all that other crap! Again, "moderation". I eat about 8 to 12 eggs a week and my last blood test, my cholestoral was 135;)

Free ranged eggs have a much more favorable cholesterol profile than caged eggs. I eat tons of our free ranged eggs and if it means anything to anyone, my last cholesterol test the HDL was higher than the LDL. :)

Agreed, I went to a heart Dr a few years back and he was in the heart business for 35+ years. He said to me trust a "cow" not a chemist, In this case were talking eggs but the principal applies!
I asked him about eating my eggs, "which" I love... He said in moderation. With that said, he did warn me about processed foods, to much animal fat, and he absolutely "hated" all these types of margerine spreads. He said your body can easier digest plain old butter than all that other crap! Again, "moderation". I eat about 8 to 12 eggs a week and my last blood test, my cholestoral was 135;)

You sound like my dad. He used to get real high marks from his physicians, and bragged that he ate 5 eggs every day. He used to tell people that potatoes were not fattening, it was all the butter and cream and fats that we put on them.
I agree about the butter, I wouldn't eat margarine if that was the only thing available.

My inlaws have hens and they give us a dozen to 1.5 dozen a week and they are amazing. I went from from not really enjoying eggs to eating them often. Very rich and tasty. You made out well

Reactions: ScotO
Actually butter is very alkaline in your system so that's a good thing.. I read were margarine was one molecule away from plastic... also someone left an open container of margarine in a garage for over a year,,, nothing even grew on the margarine, mold, nothing... It just stayed the same..

Actually butter is very alkaline in your system so that's a good thing.. I read were margarine was one molecule away from plastic... also someone left an open container of margarine in a garage for over a year,,, nothing even grew on the margarine, mold, nothing... It just stayed the same..

I believe that is an urban legend, because mold doesn't grow on butter, either. However, butter is still my choice, margarine, as far as I am concerned, is nothing but shortening with some flavors added. I would no sooner eat margarine as I would shortening.<>

Status
Not open for further replies.