Firewood for Eggs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Butter is not a health food,it has a lot of saturated fat, as do most animal based products. Probably hydrogenate products which include some margarine are much worse than butter. Most Mfgs are taking the hydrogenated oils out of margarine.

Modern processed foods are geared to taste good, not to provide nutrition. THey use a lot of the three evils of the modern diet Sugar,Salt and Fat. excess of these things also tend to make us overeat.

Reactions: save$ and ScotO
I thought this thread was about eggs?
Add alcohol to that, and you have my favorite every meal.
I know ,mine too,just love buttered popcorn with lots of salt,but i now use olive oil and less salt. Approaching 60 and dont want my diet to kill me.

Something will;ex.... I'm gonna enjoy it till I can't....and I'm not far behind you;)... Drink Beer....got all the food groups.
ID like to die of old age if possible rather than an exploding heart. Watched my dad get sick and cancerous at a much younger age than i am now. Trying not to repeat his mistakes. IF changes in diet can make me feel better and maintain better health i feel its worth it to try. I have large bar at my house so im not about to give up my favorite ale now and then. I do feel different depending on what eat.

Real butter all the way for me, too. I CAN'T STAND margarine.
I grew up with a grandmother who was born in 1917 and lived through the depression. She used to tell me stories about how she had to make margarine using some form of additive in a pill?? Anyway, she would never allow that stuff in her home and neither will I. I don't use butter every day but there is no replacement for it....especially for farm fresh eggs.

ID like to die of old age if possible rather than an exploding heart. Watched my dad get sick and cancerous at a much younger age than i am now. Trying not to repeat his mistakes. IF changes in diet can make me feel better and maintain better health i feel its worth it to try. I have large bar at my house so im not about to give up my favorite ale now and then. I do feel different depending on what eat.
I agree with you and not being too serious, :p Yes, as I said in many posts back, "MODERATION"! my mother kept a can of bacon fat next to the stove when I was a kid, and nearly everything was cooked in that! she died at 50:( "but" smoked like a coal burning locomotive, ate butter on everything, baked with lard and fat and we had cakes and pies all the time as kids. not to mention drank her fair share also.... My point is, I think we all pay more attention to our diet, I'm 51 and so far in fairly good health, Eggs are the last thing I'm worried about thats going to kill me!. My father ate pretty much the same things and dropped dead of a massive heart attack at 74, never so much had a symptom;ex.... It's in Gods hands in my opinion, although there are things you can to help yourself as stated.

I was listening to a radio interview yesterday and there was a woman being interviewed from Traverse City, MI who has a business named "rent a chicken". You guessed it, she rents chickens, coops, etc. and "guarantees" 10 or so eggs per week from two chickens. You rent from Spring to fall. Pretty cool idea. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rent-A-Chicken/112905955403531?id=112905955403531&sk=info
I used to have an amish connection for fresh eggs but he stopped selling ,probably had to have some kind of a license of some chit. Mis those eggs ,id rent a chicken or 6.

Reactions: WeldrDave and ScotO
Just crack a store bought egg in the frypan next to the eggs you will get from the neighbor. You will never buy another store bought egg ever.
$1.50-$2.50 per dozen here in West Michigan.....if you don't have anything to trade for them:)

Reactions: charly
Its probably the bacon thats killing you and not the eggs. Bacon is a heart attack in a plastic wrapper,its a shame cuz its so damn tasty:)
You need quality bacon. I raised feeder pigs for 11 years as 4-H projects. During the later years I was getting .3 inches of back fat, 13 sq in loin eyes (think pork chops that eat like a rib eye steak!) and bacon that you chased across the griddle and it was done. The supermarket crap has more fat than meat in it. Man do I miss those days.

My wife is bugging me right now wanting me to get the old chicken coop ready for maybe a dozen birds. I love the fresh eggs but.....I get to be the one who does all the work.
Exactly why I haven't rushed out and made a chicken coupe! Don't get me wrong I love eggs but I'll just keep eating the fresh ones that her coworker brings in.

Wood sheds first, then a greenhouse and then a chicken coupe. Hehe

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
I can't stand eggs myself, they're undeveloped chicken embryos! Eewwwww, gross! When I bought my house, it had a chicken coup. It's now a wood shed!
THat should satisfy the PETA people as its unfertilized and all nutrition and nothing has to be killed or prematurely terminated to provide it.

I can't stand eggs myself, they're undeveloped chicken embryos! Eewwwww, gross! When I bought my house, it had a chicken coup. It's now a wood shed!

LOL.. can you stand chicken? It's a FULLY developed chicken embryo. Ewwww!! GROSS!!

oh wait.. Trees have to DIE for me to be warm. Something has to DIE for me to eat. Soon as a chicken develops and builds a better wood stove, I will give consideration to his plight. Until then, I am cooking eggs on my stove.

;)

The sheds we originally built for our pigs became the chicken coups later on. Now they are being used to store wood. I swear to God.... I was told by Ag & Markets a simple way to test for egg freshness is to drop the egg into a glass of water. If it sinks its fresh. If it floats its probably ready to hatch! haha....
Good way to test for freshness cause my chickens used to hide their eggs. Chickens are an interesting study. I was told that super bright yellow pigment in their egg yolks are from them having access to eating grass. Not cracked corn like I thought. Grass and bugs!!
And finally an axiom from Oscar Wilde, "the four food group; alcohol, sugar, caffeine and fat."

Woodsheds make good chicken coups, chicken coups make good woodsheds.

Reactions: charly
LOL.. can you stand chicken? It's a FULLY developed chicken embryo. Ewwww!! GROSS!!

oh wait.. Trees have to DIE for me to be warm. Something has to DIE for me to eat. Soon as a chicken develops and builds a better wood stove, I will give consideration to his plight. Until then, I am cooking eggs on my stove.

;)

I don't object to other things dying that I may live (and enjoy). Grossness aside, I prefer to let eggs become meat for the same reason I don't cut saplings for firewood.;) Patience is the key, you get a superior product.

It's not an embryo unless it's fertilized.

I don't object to other things dying that I may live (and enjoy). Grossness aside, I prefer to let eggs become meat for the same reason I don't cut saplings for firewood.;) Patience is the key, you get a superior product.​
Point well taken and Respected;ex with that said, how many things do "all" of us eat that are made with eggs in it., I.E. cakes, pies, certain doughs, etc...as far as sapplings, "many" paper companies cut young trees for toilet paper and various other items. In the defense of that, they do replant and grow two fold as I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.