Firewood Fun!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wood1Dennis

Burning Hunk
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern Wisconsin
Nothing like getting out in the woods on a nice cold winter day to work up some firewood. Thanks to the polar vortex, it was finally cold enough this winter to get into the frozen swamp with the tractor to get out some of the stuff I've been eyeing up.

Today I got to saw and split a nice pile of oak firewood to burn a couple of years from now, followed up by dragging out some elm and a nice big ash log that I will split and stack in spring.

upload_2019-2-10_20-52-21.jpeg upload_2019-2-10_20-52-48.jpeg upload_2019-2-10_20-53-6.jpeg upload_2019-2-10_21-8-43.jpeg

If only my 'real' job were this much fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Wunderbar! Good deal to get ahead on your firewood stock pile.

Looks like you have an awesome spot to stack and dry your wood.

You plit by hand?
I love splitting by hand especially when it is cold. However, most of the stuff I drag out to the piles will get spit with the splitter. The elm will for sure.

Nice work!!!

There is a lot of Wisconsin going on in those pictures. First thing I did is look up your location. 6th sense. Lot of guys have been waiting for some cold to be able to get out on the low ground.