Firewood ID: Gum, and...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixminus1

Jan 11, 2008
Coastal NJ
Late last week I scored a truck full of logs from a local tree guy who was working in my neighborhood. I knew up-front that a lot of it is gum. Not the best wood, but certainly not the worst. There were some other logs in the load that I would like to identify.

Picture #1: ??? Seems stringy, splits about the same as the gum, and the ends of the cuts are sticky. The wood is *very* yellow in color, with a white band around the edge.

Picture #2: The Gum. "Peels" apart rather than "popping" apart like a lot of easier-to-split species, but it wasn't especially bad. I kept a sharp hatchet nearby, and some light swings would take care of the bits that wouldn't let go. The wood is nearly white in color, with a thin, dark stripe near the center of the round.

Any ideas about what type of wood is in picture #1?

As mentioned before, we need a firewood ID section on this forum that includes pictures of splits. I would be willing to contribute!

EDIT: The one with the darker, rougher bark is the Gum (I think). The other one, with the yellowish wood and the grey, smoother bark is the mystery wood.

Attachments

• Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 281
sixminus1 said:
Late last week I scored a truck full of logs from a local tree guy who was working in my neighborhood. I knew up-front that a lot of it is gum. Not the best wood, but certainly not the worst. There were some other logs in the load that I would like to identify.

Picture #1: ??? Seems stringy, splits about the same as the gum, and the ends of the cuts are sticky. The wood is *very* yellow in color, with a white band around the edge.

Picture #2: The Gum. "Peels" apart rather than "popping" apart like a lot of easier-to-split species, but it wasn't especially bad. I kept a sharp hatchet nearby, and some light swings would take care of the bits that wouldn't let go. The wood is nearly white in color, with a thin, dark stripe near the center of the round.

Any ideas about what type of wood is in picture #2?

As mentioned before, we need a firewood ID section on this forum that includes pictures of splits. I would be willing to contribute!

EDIT: Apologies, it looks like I got the pictures out of order... the one with the darker, rougher bark is the Gum (I think). The other one, with the yellowish wood and the grey, smoother bark is the mystery wood.

Picture # 1 is Mulberry. The yellow ends will turn reddish-brown as it dries. It's decent fuelwood.

I don't know what picture one is but it sure is pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.