Firewood seller’s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
Why can’t they just be honest with people, and just tell them their wood is semi dry. I think it’s really messed up to have people thinking it’s dry when it’s not ! Having people paying a premium, for firewood that’s not even dry!

Reactions: wetwood4life
Unfortunately, seasoned does not have a defined standard. A lot of wood that is sold has been in log form until the month (or week) before it is sold. Technically, that wood is seasoned - but maybe for just one week. Some of the large wood sellers are up front about this, but a lot of the smaller sellers are not. Truly seasoned firewood is going to cost more and most people don't want to pay that premium.

It would be good for the state's weights and measures dept. to establish a definition for seasoned wood at <20% MC. In lieu of that, the safest thing is to assume the wood is not fully seasoned and to check a few random splits with a moisture meter before accepting a shipment. Or buy the split wood green a year or two in advance and stack it in a shed or off the ground on pallets. Or build a solar kiln and select quick drying species to dry it faster.

Fortunately, there are some big sellers in upstate NY.

Do what you can on your end. Ok, they say it is dry. On delivery grab a few large pieces of firewood, split, align moisture meter probes with grain, and read moisture content. If not as advertised dry-wise (<20%) renegotiate a price if you are willing, else decline the wood for not being as advertised. As you educate the seller on what dry wood is he might cuss at you on exit.

I bought a load that was semi wet, didnt know any better at the time. Its been 3 years uder a tarp and off the ground, so I should be able to use it this year, lol.

Reactions: Itslay90
It's pretty simple, time is money. Storage time and lot space costs money. The longer they season it the more it costs them. Thus assume they all have fast turn arounds on the wood. It's on you (the buyer) to season it. If you do want to pay up for seasoned wood have a moisture meter for sure, but better to not even try that. Just season it yourself. So many don't know, care or are not straight with the truth. The honest sellers know what they have and charge appropriately for it. I would not count on finding to many of those guys.

A lot of cheapo wood sellers are fly-by-night, just selling what they have scrounged. The next tier up are tree companies that sell what they have had to haul away. In both cases the odds are the wood will be less than correctly seasoned due to minimal storage.

Reactions: wetwood4life
Most folks who switch to burning wood are doing it to save money. Therefore they are trying to get wood cheap. There are good dealers out there who have worked to establish a long term reputation with steady customers and they may not be the cheapest and do not need additional customers. They do not want a one off sales, they want long term sales year after year so they can cut the wood and know they have customer a year from now. That leaves a lot of dealers that are in it for the short term buck and they dont have the time or the place to store wood and want their money now, not 12 months from now. They know that there are always newbys looking wood and clueless on how seasoned is seasoned. Wait until fall and there are plenty of people desperate for wood who should have worried about it 6 months ago and they are going to buy wood from whomever is selling.

Yup, we’ve all been there. You’re not wrong to feel the way you do. The trouble is, the vast majority of people don’t know about what dry is. I would guess that 90 percent of customers would not know the difference. Most people burn very wet wood. This lack of knowledge no doubt extends to a lot of people selling firewood. Although I don’t like gov’t regulations as much as the next person, there really should be some standard for people selling supposed dry wood. What happens without this is that you get more smoke than needed out of the chimney. Some folks don’t like this and they say that we have to raise the standard for stove emissions. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a large piece of that is the wet wood in the first place. If you have to buy wood, a lot of people sell it “green”. You may has well save some money bc it’s almost always going to be wet either way.

It's pretty simple, time is money. Storage time and lot space costs money. The longer they season it the more it costs them. Thus assume they all have fast turn arounds on the wood. It's on you (the buyer) to season it. If you do want to pay up for seasoned wood have a moisture meter for sure, but better to not even try that. Just season it yourself. So many don't know, care or are not straight with the truth. The honest sellers know what they have and charge appropriately for it. I would not count on finding to many of those guys.
I have a neighbor
When it’s that time to get his firewood, he get big split ash, most of it is all ash. And when he burns it. He smoked at the whole neighborhood. And I’m on my property like smh. I just don’t understand why he just don’t get his firewood in advance. Like it doesn’t make sense, so you mean to tell me you wait a month to order your firewood, and that’s when you burn it! He has a half cord left. He stacks it and let it sit there for a year or two, then that’s when he burns it. My ask is. He doesn’t noticed the difference between semi dry wood vs season dry firewood.

Most folks who switch to burning wood are doing it to save money. Therefore they are trying to get wood cheap. There are good dealers out there who have worked to establish a long term reputation with steady customers and they may not be the cheapest and do not need additional customers. They do not want a one off sales, they want long term sales year after year so they can cut the wood and know they have customer a year from now. That leaves a lot of dealers that are in it for the short term buck and they dont have the time or the place to store wood and want their money now, not 12 months from now. They know that there are always newbys looking wood and clueless on how seasoned is seasoned. Wait until fall and there are plenty of people desperate for wood who should have worried about it 6 months ago and they are going to buy wood from whomever is selling.
Yes, but if people looked at burning firewood as saving money, they’re truly mistaken, because they’re wasting a lot of btus burning semi wood

Unfortunately, seasoned does not have a defined standard. A lot of wood that is sold has been in log form until the month (or week) before it is sold. Technically, that wood is seasoned - but maybe for just one week. Some of the large wood sellers are up front about this, but a lot of the smaller sellers are not. Truly seasoned firewood is going to cost more and most people don't want to pay that premium.

It would be good for the state's weights and measures dept. to establish a definition for seasoned wood at <20% MC. In lieu of that, the safest thing is to assume the wood is not fully seasoned and to check a few random splits with a moisture meter before accepting a shipment. Or buy the split wood green a year or two in advance and stack it in a shed or off the ground on pallets. Or build a solar kiln and select quick drying species to dry it faster.

Fortunately, there are some big sellers in upstate NY.
That’s crazy ! I just looked at that yesterday,

Yup, we’ve all been there. You’re not wrong to feel the way you do. The trouble is, the vast majority of people don’t know about what dry is. I would guess that 90 percent of customers would not know the difference. Most people burn very wet wood. This lack of knowledge no doubt extends to a lot of people selling firewood. Although I don’t like gov’t regulations as much as the next person, there really should be some standard for people selling supposed dry wood. What happens without this is that you get more smoke than needed out of the chimney. Some folks don’t like this and they say that we have to raise the standard for stove emissions. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a large piece of that is the wet wood in the first place. If you have to buy wood, a lot of people sell it “green”. You may has well save some money bc it’s almost always going to be wet either way.
Yes, they really need to pass a law against that. Then that will make people see the difference between the semi dry, and really season wood. I think then they will start looking into new epa wood burning stoves, and see what they been missing out !

I live in the Trinity Alps in Norcal. I've been burning wood for the last 25 years. Me, along with some friends would go cutting in Oct. when Sierra
Pacific opens up some sites for fire wood cutting. Thing is I have never heard of anyone around here who didn't burn the freshly cut wood. I did the same until finding this site. Same thing with the wood sellers. They don't even pretend to have dry wood. Amazing how so many can be so ignorant.

Reactions: bigealta
My neighbor is cutting up his firewood this past week and will be burning in about 2 months. He has an OWB and it skunks out the neighborhood.

I live in the Trinity Alps in Norcal. I've been burning wood for the last 25 years. Me, along with some friends would go cutting in Oct. when Sierra
Pacific opens up some sites for fire wood cutting. Thing is I have never heard of anyone around here who didn't burn the freshly cut wood. I did the same until finding this site. Same thing with the wood sellers. They don't even pretend to have dry wood. Amazing how so many can be so ignorant.
Yup, not 1 person i know (other than people here) burn seasoned wood. Not 1. They are either "once it's hot enough anything will burn" or "i just leave the door open for a while" or "my big old stove will burn anything".
or the worst "my wood is seasoned" when it's like 6 months old split oak.

People really have no idea, as i was there too for many years with my old jotul 3.
The jotul f400 really got me tuned in to how critical well seasoned wood is.
Secondary burners to the rescue of ignorance.

Some oil rich softwoods will burn when damp. They smoke a lot and the boiling steam from the wood means a lot of heat lost, but I see it all the time in rural areas, especially with the old timers.

Yes, they really need to pass a law against that. Then that will make people see the difference between the semi dry, and really season wood. I think then they will start looking into new epa wood burning stoves, and see what they been missing out !

You should probably come to the realization that if your purchasing wood that its not going to be ready to burn that year. some people do sell seasoned wood, but a a cost. Your not getting a cord of hardwoods seasoned for 200 bucks. That being said, you could look into purchasing green wood, and season it yourself. set up.some quality wood storage and you're good to go. Your better off getting 3 years ahead

You should probably come to the realization that if your purchasing wood that its not going to be ready to burn that year. some people do sell seasoned wood, but a a cost. Your not getting a cord of hardwoods seasoned for 200 bucks. That being said, you could look into purchasing green wood, and season it yourself. set up.some quality wood storage and you're good to go. Your better off getting 3 years ahead
Well I don’t buy firewood. I cut my own firewood off my own property. And that’s crazy. I just wanted to see how much was a full cord from a selling. He said $300

I think space and initial investment are the main reasons if you take ignorance out of the equation. Itd take a lot of space and money to store wood for a couple years. 300/cord, say 200 cords sold, thats a lot of work for only 60 thousand! Take away his expenses and I bet he's in poverty. You're lucky to find anybody who will sell firewood green!

Checked my wood that will be a year, next week. And I was surprised that the wood was 15-17 percent. “ i’ checked this with my moisture meter.

Checked my wood that will be a year, next week. And I was surprised that the wood was 15-17 percent. “ i’ checked this with my moisture meter.
Are you checking that on the face of a just split piece of wood? Sorry if you already mentioned that before. It sounds silly, but it’s an important detail.