Firewood splitting questions from a novice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you decide to handsplit, do yourself a favor and get an old tire to put the rounds (that will fit) into while splitting. Easily the best thing that's helped me in my years of handsplitting. The thing that hurts your back the most IMO is bending over to pick up the log and resetting it after every strike, but with the tire method it's just whack, whack, whack around the round and the tire keeps it all in place. And if you're really good, after every strike the maul bounces up off the tire back into position for the next strike! :coolsmirk:

I gotta give the old tire idea a try...sounds like a back saver! I hate having to reset a round

Status
Not open for further replies.