Firewood !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would venture to guess that most of us on here cut our own, but buying from a seller is totally fine, as long as you can let the wood dry for a good year or so after buying it. It’s almost never dry enough when you first buy it even if you’re told that it’s dry.

Reactions: Itslay90
I cut 7-14 cords a year, and help an elderly widow out with some as well. Would have to do most of the work anyway just to maintain a fire-resistant area to live in, so might as well get my heat covered. It's nice to have my total home energy purchases at around $50 a month for a big house in the near-arctic too!

Just found out yesterday that good logging boots are now $500+ a pair. Yikes! Have to order another pair today.

Reactions: dafattkidd
I have it delivered. I do some splitting with wedges, maul, kindling cracker etc but would be too much of an investment for me to buy all the tools for the trade. I also don’t have a large wood lot to harvest from.

I do it all myself

so far, 2 years, I have done by myself, this year I will get an extra load without work, from an uncomfortable forest, very steep, my father had it done, to an acquaintance, equipped, tractors, etc.. 50 percent to us and 50 to him. In a couple of years I plan to buy partially

I made friends with a one man tree service. If he has a job close by I’ll take some to save him a dumping fee. Last one was a full load, knotty and a lot of short rounds. That load was probably more than a years worth for me. The short lengths mean I can load NS in my insert. Knots were a PITA. Im not picky. I’ll pick anything up set out in the neighborhood just to keep it looking nice. I’m a couple years ahead. So I’m ok letting others have first refusals.

My sons and I cut wood off my 210-acre wood lot
5 cords for each of the boys 5 cords for me and 5 cords
we give to people in need from our church .
We get more requests than we could possibly fill
so the Minister chooses who gets what and we deliver it

How many of ya, cut your own firewood, vs buying it from a seller?
We bought one load of beech logs once since we didn't have enough higher btu wood and I didn't feel good about felling trees since 2007 was my first year working with a chainsaw. The rest of our firewood has come from our lots.

I cut or scrounge all mine. If I had to buy it I probably would think twice about having a stove.

I cut it as part of timber stand improvement. If I dont turn it into firewood it will be left rotting in the woods. Due to accessibility, I expect I will be girdling 30 acres of beech and letting it rot

I do like 50/50 I believe now. But I'm leaning towards just buying a loads of logs. We have 14 wooded acres but I'm not comfortable anymore felling trees. 65 now and have more money than time.

I generally cut my own. But if I come across a good deal I will buy some . I do buy loads of logs and have them dropped in my parking lot as well

I have log length hardwood delivered for free from local tree service company. I receive and go through about 4-5 cords per year.

I buy and get my own. I don’t have a big lot, (.27 acres) and with two kids I can’t take up entire back yard with wood. Got two wood sheds right now though completely full, building a third one and a solar kiln hopefully soon, right at the very back of the lot.

I’m a scrounger. I am always checking Facebook Marketplace for free wood scores and scouring the neighborhoods for firewood.

I have had some of the best scrounging scores this year. I’ve scrounged well over a cord of split and seasoned hardwood. The attached picture is a portion of the split, seasoned stuff I’ve scrounged.

That said, if I see a good deal on wood, I’ll probably buy a cord or two just to get ahead on my wood supply.
IMG_3314.jpeg

Reactions: thewoodlands
I’m a scrounger. I am always checking Facebook Marketplace for free wood scores and scouring the neighborhoods for firewood.

I have had some of the best scrounging scores this year. I’ve scrounged well over a cord of split and seasoned hardwood. The attached picture is a portion of the split, seasoned stuff I’ve scrounged.

That said, if I see a good deal on wood, I’ll probably buy a cord or two just to get ahead on my wood supply. View attachment 312323
That looks awesome. I love it.

Thanks! I just hope that pile in the right doesn’t go rolling down the hill into my neighbors yard. 🤣🤣

That little plastic shed came with the house. It’s generally used as a garbage enclosure or for bikes. I bought a new top and filled it with seasoned wood.

Here’s a picture of my messier scrounged rounds. This is how I scrounge most of my fire wood. I’ll split that up over the next few weeks and stack it. Hopefully not need it for two years.

IMG_3313.jpeg IMG_3315.jpeg