Fireworks In The Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
This is my first year burning my wood is dirty and high moisture. I split some and got readings from 22 - 28 on splits from different pieces of wood.

Sometimes I stir the pot and it's like sparklers being lit with sparks going everywhere. Is this because of the dirt going into my firebox? I bang the wood outside to get some off but know there is dirt going in there ...

Some wood does this naturally every time it's stirred. Locust, hedge and mulberry come to mind, but I'm sure others do it too.

Many bark also sparks a lot. Even if the wood itself doesn't, the bark may.

Last time it sparked I had the air down really low and then I opened the door and poked at the wood.

When I first read the thread title I wasn't sure if this was for a pellet stove or my in-laws after they tried our super-hot pickled peppers.

Last edited:
Oak can spark a bit as well...

So i just was pushing the coals with a rake and something popped and an ember went flying through the air and bounced off a 2x4 from some framing i havent finished yet. I didnt even see where it landed i had to duck so it didnt hit me and turned just to see it bouncing off the 2x4. Now im afraid to go to sleep for fear something is going to smolder with this missing hot ass thing who knows where. Not great with distances but this thing travelled a good 4 feet before careening off the framing and it was still glowing when it hit. Shouldnt i be bummed about this?

When welding I absolutely can't keep track of where molten spatter is going while focused on the welding itself. The general rule of thumb I was taught is to wait an hour after finishing the welding job to make sure nothing is smoldering in a corner. I would apply the same thought to any wood stove sparks. Wait an hour or at least check on the room every 10-15 minutes for that hour to make sure there is nothing smoldering.

As far as prevention of future issues, could you possibly get some metal roofing panels or maybe some welding blankets from Harbor Freight to hang/place around the stove and keep any sparks away from the framing?

well that makes sense. It's just not a contingency I have planned for and is complicated in the long run. The odds of this little glowing thing starting a fire are pretty slim especially considering I'm quite certain it fell on OSB or 3/4" plywood. But I do have carpeting a couple feet in front of the stove too and that concerns me more. I'm glad I increased the original dimensions of the hearth that's for certain! In the big picture I don't like the likelihood of risky events.

Please tell me you have a smoke detector/ co alarm near by. Even if it was smoldering on the carpet the alarm would go off. Wouldn't want to use that as my primary detection source, but it is nice to have a back-up

Reactions: firefighterjake
I do have smoke detector but not near the stove....I don't need to hear that thing every time smoke rolls out of the stove LOL. chit in a carpet can smolder who knows how long before it goes up though ... smoke detector isn't going to do anyone any good if no one is home LOL.

I do have smoke detector but not near the stove....I don't need to hear that thing every time smoke rolls out of the stove LOL. chit in a carpet can smolder who knows how long before it goes up though ... smoke detector isn't going to do anyone any good if no one is home LOL.

You've got some good advice about detectors and waiting an hour or so to check things out.

Now about that smoke rolling out of the stove . . . does this happen often? A stove with a proper draft should not have a lot . . . or any smoke . . . coming out unless the draft is inadequate (this can happen early and late in the burning season for many folks though . . . not typically this time of year) or the stove is being loaded up too soon in the burning cycle.

You've got some good advice about detectors and waiting an hour or so to check things out.

Now about that smoke rolling out of the stove . . . does this happen often? A stove with a proper draft should not have a lot . . . or any smoke . . . coming out unless the draft is inadequate (this can happen early and late in the burning season for many folks though . . . not typically this time of year) or the stove is being loaded up too soon in the burning cycle.

It's likely me causing the smoke. I don't like it....but I'm fighting with wood that isn't properly dried. I think that's most of my problem right now. Sometimes I want to get in there and stir it...other times throw some more fuel in. It's all being driven by how much heat I need because I fight to get the stove to 500 and then it won't stay there unless I leave the air wide open...in which case I fly through the wood. Trying to learn and make adjustments ... sometimes just want to let it go out and let the wood sit a year LOL ...

Status
Not open for further replies.