Firing drolet ht2000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Jan 5, 2016
NE Tennessee
New Drolet HT2000 owner here. I am not sure I am firing it correctly. After loading, am I suppose to open the damper wide open and get the stove top temp up above 600f to get the secondary burning then close the damper down some?? If so, where is the sweet spot? What should my stove top temp settle out at?? Flue temp??

As long as the wood is nice and dry you can start turning down the air sooner. How soon depends on the wood and how it was loaded. When the wood starts to burn well try turning down the air in increments. Turn it down until the flame gets a bit lazier and then wait a few minutes for it to regain strength. Then turn repeat until the flame is lazy again. Continue until the flame stays lazy or the air control is all the way closed. If there is a flue thermometer, watch the flue temp more than the stove top temp. Try to keep the flue temp below excessive stove pipe temp (with probe ~900F, surface thermo on single wall ~450F). Usually the as the air is lowered, secondary combustion will become more robust.

Thanks for the reply begreen. I'm going from a 30+ year old King wood and coal to this modern technology and it's a totally different beast. I had it going good last night and checked on it an hour or so later and had lost the secondary. I'm trying again now, so with your tips maybe I'll get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.