First burn in my new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zr2yz125

Sep 28, 2009
The SMOKIES of TN
I had my first burn in my new stove this weekend. Its a Bosca Spirit 550.

I have never burned a wood stove before - this is a new install in a new home, so I expect a lot of trial and error.

So far so good - the chimney (approx 30') drafts well - I think too well when its hot. I cannot turn it down for a low-n-slow after getting it up to temperature.

I will be looking to install a flue damper and to hook up my OAK, its plumbed in the wall I just need to connect it to the stove. I will also start taking some temps to see how its really burning. It is pretty neat when the secondary lights off....

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 244
  • stove 2.jpg
    stove 2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 244
Cool looking stove! Welcome to the forums you'll be able to learn a lot here on the proper operation of it. Get yourself a good stove top thermometer, if you dont have one already, and pay attention to the recommended burn zone. Good luck with it, I hope it keeps you warm!

Welcome to the forum zr2yz125. Looks like a good stove and you should get lots of heat with it.

Make sure you have "full travel" in your primary air control.. I thought mine was going to run away the first time I loaded it up and let it rip the first time.. Once it had cooled down I got to looking and found what I thought was "closed" was only about 50% closed... The lever was binding firm enough to make me think it was closed, but the air was still open a lot. not enough to actually "run away" but enough to let me know it was getting way more air then I thought it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.