First burn of the season...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Low temps last week in the 40’s so I cleaned my stove today. Ran the a/c last night. New England weather. Gotta love it. 4 tons vermont pellets stacked.

Reactions: Cory S and mixpat
On the first day of fall, weather turned from summer to fall like a switch. Days in the 50s and nights in the 40s and sometimes 30s. I fired mine up tonight for a little while to make sure all is good, and to be ready when it gets cold enough to need it.

On the first Night of fall, we had frost -1::C overnight
Temp next day never broke 7::C Again that night was only 2::C
The Pellet stove kept the house at a nice 20::C A little warmer today and tonight
Looks like summer is gone now for some nice fall days

Reactions: jackhammer
Low temps last week in the 40’s so I cleaned my stove today. Ran the a/c last night. New England weather. Gotta love it. 4 tons vermont pellets stacked.
Vermont Wood Pellets have been the best pellets I’ve ever burned. Almost zero ash and super hot. They are $55.00 more per ton this year. In reality though, the increase is the equivalent of purchasing 12 gallons of heating oil…..LOL.

Reactions: jackhammer
Fired up my PP130 off and on over the past week. Fall and spring temperature variations always make it interesting.

It will still be a little bit before I fire up my USSC 6500. It doesn't have electronic ignition and will roast you out on the lowest setting if temps warm up during the day.

Just brought in 3 tons of hardwood pellets over the weekend. $222 a ton at Menards. Magic Spark brand. Stoves did pretty well burning them last winter.
Pellet3Ton.JPG

Reactions: Mt Bob
Fired up my PP130 off and on over the past week. Fall and spring temperature variations always make it interesting.

It will still be a little bit before I fire up my USSC 6500. It doesn't have electronic ignition and will roast you out on the lowest setting if temps warm up during the day.

Just brought in 3 tons of hardwood pellets over the weekend. $222 a ton at Menards. Magic Spark brand. Stoves did pretty well burning them last winter.
View attachment 300277
$222/ton????? Are they half sand?

$222/ton????? Are they half sand?

I would say they are decent quality pellets with limited fines in the bags. Definitely not the best, but very far from the worst.

Always have to be careful when getting pellets from some of the big box stores. The brand they carry can change over the course of the winter depending on availability. Also want to make sure they store them in a covered area. My local store is good about it, but I know others who have gotten pellets at different stores and they were stored out in the weather.

They are regular $4.99 a bag and are on sale with an 11% rebate.

• Wow
Reactions: Cory S
Magic Spark is the same as Pro Pellets, though I don’t know the reason for the different branding.

They burn amazing for me. I paid $240 a ton at TSC regular price in June. But I’m way up north. They are made near the Indiana border, so maybe that’s why they’re a bit cheaper by you.

Pro Pellets/Magic Spark burn real nice for me. Haven't seen them around here lately.

Magic Spark is the same as Pro Pellets, though I don’t know the reason for the different branding.

They burn amazing for me. I paid $240 a ton at TSC regular price in June. But I’m way up north. They are made near the Indiana border, so maybe that’s why they’re a bit cheaper by you.

Pro Pellets are manufactured about an hour and 20 minutes from where I live. I reached out to them last year and asked about purchasing directly from them to try and get a better price. They said they couldn't/wouldn't sell directly to consumers.

Too bad.