First chimney cleaning since insert was installed November 2006

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecfinn

Dec 12, 2005
Ambler, PA
Well, I finally got my newly lined chimney cleaned today after my first season of heating our house with wood. Its a 6" SS liner about 20' tall. We probably burned about 4 cords this year as near as I can tell. It was all in pretty good shape. It had about 1/2-3/4" of buildup at the very top of the liner but it was not the nasty stuff. All flaky that came off easily. When it was all swept into the insert there was probably 3-5 cups of flakes based upon my not so scientific estimates. :) So based upon what we found and discussions with the sweep I think we're going to probably do a mid-year cleaning next winter to prevent the buildup at the top and keep the pipe cleaner. Does that sound about right to the experts here?

We used good dry wood this year and tried our best to keep it nice and hot and burn well but we all make mistakes. It was good to hear it was doing that well. The sweeps thought it looked fine for 4 cords so that was a relief.

Eric

Sounds like did pretty well Eric, that buildup at the top is to be expected and since it was just the flaky creosote, you're probably doing well!

NewtownPA said:
How much did a cleaning cost? I've got to get mine cleaned out soon.

Mine was $150 plus tax. $159 total. Took 2 guys about an hour total. PM me if you want the name/contact details.

Status
Not open for further replies.