First cleaning/inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
We finally got a break in the rain and other general nasty stuff today, so I climbed my tower (used to be dad's old antenna tower) and got up on the roof today to do my first official inspection and cleaning. I took the 6" Rutland poly brush and my 18' Rutland rod kit up along with my flashlight. The cap was pretty clean (a little flaky stuff only), and a visual inspection down the SS revealed some light, brown, flaky type stuff. I ran the brush down several times, and below is that I was able to remove. I've been burning almost daily for just over a month with a mix of pine (10-20% moisture) and red oak (20-30% moisture). I have about 18' of chimney, straight shot up from the first floor with about 4.5' out the roof, so very little is exposed to the cold.

Does this appear to be a normal buildup for those with more burning experience under their belts? If so, I am pleased with my results. No sticky, tar-like substances, and my burning has been going really well. Good draft, good secondary combustion, heat shimmers only from the pipe, smoke only after a reload, etc. Thanks for the insight, as usual!

first_cleaning.jpg

While it seems like a lot of material for just a month, it does look innocuous. I can't see any black popcorn creosote unless it got brown coated.

Pagey, we've never worried about that brown stuff. You are doing just fine.

Looks like your doing everything right to me. The black shinny, sticky, gooey stuff is what you want to watch out for.

Thanks for the input, fellow burners. I think having relatively dry wood makes all the difference in the world!

Looks very good to me.. For that length of pipe. I have had and a friend recently had his stove nearly clog his chimney up so far this year due to wood that wasn't seasoned enough. I would be pleased to only find what you have so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.