First cleaning since the install...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr4btTahoe

Burning Hunk
Jan 13, 2015
Indiana
Hey guys...

Just got around to inspecting and cleaning the flue since installing the stove last winter. It wasn't used much last year and this year we modified the stove and have been burning some marginal at best wood... Figured it would be best to check things over before the cold sets in...

I had noticed some discoloration of the stack and some buildup on the cap...

IMG_20151205_134506854_zpsvcohh0yk.jpg

IMG_20151205_134638009_HDR_zps4msyuhzr.jpg

This is how the pipe looked... Almost like it was lined with charred paper..
IMG_20151205_135357932_HDR_zpsxnkj1fee.jpg

IMG_20151205_135410395_zpsnauyfbte.jpg

After brushing...
IMG_20151205_140610565_zps59t1xrku.jpg

Although it looks like more in the pic... It's a cup full or so of a very flakey material. No sticky/gummy material at all.

Does this look on par for say 3 months of off and on burning last winter (very off and on)... And a few weeks this year with a couple 3-4day round the clock burns...

Should I be good for the season or should I plan for a mid season cleaning?

Thanks guys
-Chris

I would at least check it mid-season. Which is gonna have a whole new definition this year. I usually consider mid-season to be early January but am moving that to early February this year.

Reactions: Mr4btTahoe
What brand and model stove do you have? Chimney height and any bends?

Stove is a mid 80s Silent Flame that has been fire bricked, baffled, and now has secondary burn tubes.

The flue is 8" vertical double wall from stove to cap and is approx. 15' total height (somewhat short but drafts really well).

I typically keep flue temps between 275-500 (cruises around 400) measured 20" from the stove top with a condar probe.

I also try to run it hot with each reload, particularly after a slower overnight burn, I'll run the stack temps up to 650-700

I think you are fine for now. The top of my stack looks very similar to yours.

I have been brushing my pipe about every two cords, moving to less often myself. I am going to try burning three cords before I brush again, probably won't burn more than five without brushing. Five at a time will have me brushing twice annually...

I'd say your good to go, just check mid season like Brother Bart stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.