First crack in the soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fuut Master

Jun 12, 2017
East Tennessee
Found a small hairline crack in one of the top stones. It is only an inch or so long. Do I need to be replacing the stone or just ride it out?
First crack in the soapstone

Last edited by a moderator:
We install a lot Hearthstone stoves, I go back and clean most of them. That all crack, sometimes the top blows up. Hopefully the cracks don’t get any worse.

We install a lot Hearthstone stoves, I go back and clean most of them. That all crack, sometimes the top blows up. Hopefully the cracks don’t get any worse.

Top blows up[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jetsam
Top blows up[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]???

We’ve had a few do it. Kind of a perfect storm of gas build up. Typically just causes a back puff in most stoves, but will lift the top off of a Hearthstone. Cement goes everywhere, pretty scary I guess. It requires the entire top to be removed and rebuilt. Of course, often times there are cracked stones already that require replacement at this time. The new stones rarely match...

Well that stinks. It’s on the top too. I haven’t noticed any backpuffing or strange noises. Haven’t seen it above 550. I don’t run it too hard.

The cracks don’t seem to have much to do with the temperature it’s ran. I see cracks on stoves that are babied as well as serious round the clock burners. It’s sure hard to explain to someone that just dropped $3K on one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen to that. The stove easily heats the house and I really like the looks. When it gets replaced it will likely be with a cat. I was a bit intimidated by cats when I was first in the market. Not anymore. Hopefully it will last me many years before it gets replaced though.