First few fires ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodman85

Oct 2, 2017
Hello all,
Had some nice fires going after some small curing fires in my new wood stove. Bought a thermometer to check everything was all good. On the top of my door in reaching temperatures of approximately 550ish. And then on the top of my flue rain cap I placed the thermometer to check that temperature (insulated liner) I'm reaching a temperature of approximately 350. Seems like that could be a little high. But seems better so creosote won't build up. Read in some of the other forms you should aim for around 200ish. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello all,
Had some nice fires going after some small curing fires in my new wood stove. Bought a thermometer to check everything was all good. On the top of my door in reaching temperatures of approximately 550ish. And then on the top of my flue rain cap I placed the thermometer to check that temperature (insulated liner) I'm reaching a temperature of approximately 350. Seems like that could be a little high. But seems better so creosote won't build up. Read in some of the other forms you should aim for around 200ish. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Aim for 250 200 is below the condensation point

So if I'm over shooting 250 and hitting 350 that's not an issue correct? Just going too low is bad?
Well going too high means you are wasting wood. It is better than too low but still not the best

Last edited by a moderator: