First fire of the season- 10/17

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Monday night, dipped into the 30s, but house was still warm. Tonight, a bit of a chill, so I took down the tubes and baffle that was cracked in half, gave her a thorough cleaning, reinstalled the new baffle, old tubes, and bricks. I'd done a less thorough cleaning job back in September

Half load of tulip poplar uglies. Lit up fine. Fan went on after 30 minutes, flames lasted about 2 hours. Then a pop, and out the flames went. So, I opened the air all the way up, flames came back after about 10 minutes, with a flourish. Ten minutes after that, another huge pop. Flames didn't go completely out, but did briefly on one side of the stove.

Never had this happen before. Particularly with poplar. Strange.

Maybe I'll add one more small load if I don't fall asleep first.

Didn't get through most the projects we'd hoped for before lighting up again. Certainly not the first time for that, won't be the last. We can probably get some done before it really gets and stays cold.

Our season has started.

I feel you working thou the list stuff needed to do. If I can do 1 thing a day I'm moving forward, even with 2 steps back.

I feel you working thou the list stuff needed to do. If I can do 1 thing a day I'm moving forward, even with 2 steps back.
Right on, brother! I need to write down everything I need to do, and try to do 1 thing per day, like you said. Good strategy. Where's my pencil...

Reactions: cookin2night