first fire of year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of surprised that you lit off. I'm further north of you and it's 60 outside here.
Welcome back, BAR! You forget... I'm actually due west of you.

Yeah, it's 55F here now... was a few degrees cooler most of today, and just felt damp and miserable all day (rain the last two days). The house was "only" 68F inside, when we got home, and whereas that used to be where we kept our oil burner thermostat's set quite happily, now my wife says, "it's cold in here." Her conversion is farther along than I had realized.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrotherBart
Yep. You come to a point where you say "I didn't do all of this stuff just to be cold.".

"it's cold in here." Her conversion is farther along than I had realized.

Cool Beans! ... it was 34'F yesterday AM here in Mass, but it's a tropical 44'F this morning and will warm up quickly. But I've had a few break-in fires, and have been enjoying the light show through the glass.

Lit a small fire here in SE CT asit was low 40's and windy by the water. 15 minutes worth of fuel oil burn would have been better. Ran it long enough to get the stack to 700 for 10 minutes and the stove went to 450, Matbe a 30 minute burn then let it burn out. A few wood shigles to start it and a half dozen 2X4 looking oak splits were way too much, house was in the 80's and not comfortable in the other direction and opened a window..LOL.. Better wait at least 3 more weeks and just run the furnace to take the chill off.

I have been having fires for the past couple weeks, as the temps reach an overnight low of -3::C (27::F), and a daytime high of 10::C (50::F). What a great feeling to come home after work, or wake up in the morning and have it 22::C (72::F) All the while, not a single bit of a noise from a fan (like I had last year with a blaring pellet stove fan running 24/7), and not a single Kw of electricity used.
All the hours and energy used producing my piles of BTu's has already paid off, and I am looking forward to this winter. Well, the being warm in the house part anyways. Can't wait to see how the stove does when it hits the -20's::C (-4::F)
Oh, the cats are sure loving it too. If they are not near us, we can usually find them in the stove room, laying on the hearth.
Another thing that I have noticed, it is not so dry in here so far. Where as last year at this time, we were getting electrical shocks every time we touched anything.

Reactions: Ashful
Burning today at 63F outside. Was. 55F overnight, and wife complained main part of the old house felt cool at 69 F indoors. I knew the stove in the summer kitchen wouldn't draft at these temps, but had never tried the newer and taller chimney in the main house. Seems to be doing well at WOT, with 550F on the stovetop and 1200F on the cat probe, burning a 1/3 full load.

I'm burning at 58 out here, but only to get in another break in on rebuild. Windows open and window fan on high :)

Burning electrons here at 49F, but may start a fire this evening with a predicted low of 41F.

I've only had one fire this year. Unusually warm fall. It's not even an Indian Summer because we haven't had the first frost yet.

You can feel the weather start to turn though. High tomorrow will be 63 with a low of 35. Shoulder season is upon us in the upper midwest.

You folks with insulated houses have it made. My walls are perpetually at soil temperature. Does save me big on summer AC, though.

You folks with insulated houses have it made. My walls are perpetually at soil temperature. Does save me big on summer AC, though.
Yes but your house will still be standing when even my 1840 farmhouse is gone...well the basement will still be here :eek:

We were getting to -1C the last few nights. I couldn't resist. I think we are in for a really nice week now so back to waiting.
Remkel, there is almost always someone laying or sitting in front of the fire! The kids ate their breakfast in front of it all last winter.

Great place to eat! Mine is in the basement....i am pretty much the only person that sits by the stove.

Great place to eat! Mine is in the basement....i am pretty much the only person that sits by the stove.

Need a big screen tv and a futon down there. Just don't let the wife or kids know how nice it is.

Please pass the nachos?

(Referring to Mrs Krabappel's original post title that apparently got moved here...)

Last edited:
There is something wrong with this, K ?

Very nice setup Joful. I don't blame you lighting them up. They look beautiful. I'm ready!

The house was "only" 68F inside, when we got home, and whereas that used to be where we kept our oil burner thermostat's set quite happily, now my wife says, "it's cold in here." Her conversion is farther along than I had realized.
Isn't it amazing how that happens? Our experience has has been identical. We've never turned our furnaces above maybe 70 and now we're not comfortable under 74 or 75. But I like it that way. It's a wood burning bonus.

Isn't it amazing how that happens? Our experience has has been identical. We've never turned our furnaces above maybe 70 and now we're not comfortable under 74 or 75. But I like it that way. It's a wood burning bonus.
+1

Had my first fire 2 days ago but woke this AM to frost outside and had to light the fire again. Love it, plus it's a good excuse to warm a Tim's Coffee as well as myself...
Stove works like a charm this year....Wow, What a difference!

Yesterday was in the 80's here. I used the time to pick up another 3 cords of unsplit green stuff for next year. Got it hauled, stacked and split in 5 hrs. We have been seeing nights into the upper 20's, but the house has been holding the heat pretty well. I need to seal off the ash dump on the Enerzone (we finally found the air leak!!), then I suppose I will get around to having the first fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.