First fires, Autumn 2018

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Swept chimney liner, thoroughly inspected what I could (all clear), took oem vermiculite baffle out (second warranty replacement in three years), replaced with newly carved c-cast baffle. Bgreen had recommended that I request the upgrade from SBI, and they sent one that was slightly too big, I was afraid to cut it until this season. More on that later.

Once it was all back together, fired it up Sunday night with a medium load of TP. Then fell asleep on the floor in front of the stove. Had another small fire this morning, this one without the tell tale burning dust smell of all first-of-the-season fire.

Plenty of seasoned wood stacked for the whole season (probably enough for the next 5). That said, we've had so much rain and humidity all summer and so far this fall, most of it is damp. We'll just have to pick judiciously, and stay with the tradition of having "on deck" pieces propped in front of the stove before going in.

Still didn't get the permanent block off plate done, nor the attic more fully insulated. And, now we've added repointing the stone walls near the stove to the project list. Some things never change...