first floor stove vented into basement chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sauer

Hearth Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
SE WI
Is it possable to vent a stove on the first floor into a chimney that is from a fireplace located in the basement. I understand that the basement fireplace will be no longer usable, I would like to know if you could knock out a hole into a 8x12 clay masonary chimney. I would prefer lining it with a 6 inch stainless liner from stove to cap.

With a liner, it could be done, but the basement fireplace would need a metal cover with a warning plate or bricked up. The concern would be to prevent future owners of the house from trying to use it.

how would you make a hole in the chimney for ther liner to go through? numatic hammer and hope for the best. I would have to use some type of fitting going thru the chimney hole because I dont think I could get the flex to bend that much

sauer said:
how would you make a hole in the chimney for ther liner to go through? numatic hammer and hope for the best. I would have to use some type of fitting going thru the chimney hole because I dont think I could get the flex to bend that much

I tried to put a screen on a friends chimney not too long ago. He had a hammer drill and masonry bit, however th hammer action started knocking mortar joints loose. Might want to get advise from someone who knows the bussiness.

Yes, very doable. If you look at my avatar, that is where my pipe is going. I'm sure somebody will give you the correct term but my installer used a mini jackhammer to bust through the cinder block and then the clay liner. With the clay liner, you just need to take a little bit at a time. If you run it into a T, you can extend the pipe down to the fireplace so you can set up an easy clean out for when you clean your pipe. Just make sure everything stays tight so you don't screw up your draft.

Good luck!

I wasw told there is a cement hole saw but it does have a hammer type action. Anyone know of such a tool? something I would have to rent because its an industrial type tool.

Knocking a clean hole into tile would be a little tricky. Chances are you might shatter the tile and cause more of a mess. There are diamond core bits that can cut the appropriate sized hole but they aren't generally available in that size in a hand held drill, just rig mounted. Better to use a diamond blade for a square cut that you would then fit you thimble into and seal with refractory clay.

I think the larger hole you try to make in one pass will cause the most damage. Try making a series of smaller holes around the perimeter using a long masonry bit and a hammer drill, then tap with a chisel. The closer and more holes you put the easier and cleaner the end hole will be. That said it will be more work to make more little holes but a better end result.

Hurricane said:
I think the larger hole you try to make in one pass will cause the most damage. Try making a series of smaller holes around the perimeter using a long masonry bit and a hammer drill, then tap with a chisel. The closer and more holes you put the easier and cleaner the end hole will be. That said it will be more work to make more little holes but a better end result.
I think that's how I would attemp doing this.

could I put a thimble in the clay chimney and then put a block off plate to block of the fireplace downstairs, and not line it? I know it is it better to line the chimney. It seems to me connecting a thimble to the liner on the inside of the masonary chimney might be tricky.

if the clay liner is in good shape and you can seal off the flue at the downstairs fireplace effectively eliminating any leaking at that point there's no reason you can't use the existing liner. I don't have any experience with steel liners, though others will chime in with good advice and I suspect that they'll assure you that the connection you're concerned about wouldn't be a problem.

yeah the only reason I am doing this is because My smoke dragon struggles sometimes when its real cold. My entrance to the basement is in the garage so If I put a stove downstairs it will not heat the area we live in. Ideally If I could insert a knimble that would be great, but if I have to line it I have to line it.

could a guy remove flue tiles and make a fireplace and a harth so the stove is a hearthstove or will that hurt the integrity of the flue? The way it seems this is a big project witch isnt done that often. I am confident that I could do it as I am extremely handy, just have to research it enough.

talked to the insurance man the other day and all he asked me is if it will be professionally installed. I dont believe that I have to get anything passed to see if its up to code, the insurance company I guess puts faith in your installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.