First inserts going into a two sided (90 degree faces) fireplace - feedback and surround suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SmellyCedar

Dec 23, 2022
Northern MN
I've been researching like crazy for several weeks on this site but found nothing quite like what I'm working with. Its a masonry fireplace with two open sides (see picture). What suggestions would you have for a surround? Would custom steel surround on the face and on the open side help disperse heat into the room better? Should I brick it? Other ideas?

I've also got a fireplace in the basement. My thought so far has been to do a catalytic insert in the basement for heating the whole house, probably a BK though I've considered Kuma (split level house, stairway is opposite end of the basement from the fireplace). Then on the main floor, which is the two sided, I'm considering something cheaper like a Drolet Escape 1800, though my wife likes the look of the Lopi Evergreen(not cheaper). This would be more occasional burn on the first floor. I'm in northern MN where the wind chill currently is -37. We once had 60 straight days where the temp did not get above 0. So I'd like to get some feedback on if this might be a good setup to heat my whole house for the winter.

One extra question - the basement chimney is a stepped offset to the flue. It will likely require some 45s and removing some of the chimney to get the liner in - how might this affect draft or any other aspect of a burn?

The inserts can be installed without a surround. They look like black box stoves on the sides. You can hide the liner with a piece of 8” stove pipe after installation. Other options could be a free standing stove depending on lintel height. Bit you don’t have very many options unless you have 31” of height or more.

I didn’t see a pic.
I have the 1800i it’s a great value. I also have a jotul inside the fireplace upstairs. It looks better but cost a lot more.

There are several double-sided fireplace insert installation threads here, but unfortunately, not many of the posters come back to show the final results. The second side can be covered with painted perforated steel or expanded metal if the goal is to extract a bit more heat. Frame the inside edge with angle iron to provide an attachment surface. The same can be done on the front side if desired.

The basement liner will most likely be flexible, not rigid. How easy or hard it will be to install will depend on the flue ID. Do you know what it is?

There are several double-sided fireplace insert installation threads here, but unfortunately, not many of the posters come back to show the final results. The second side can be covered with painted perforated steel or expanded metal if the goal is to extract a bit more heat. Frame the inside edge with angle iron to provide an attachment surface. The same can be done on the front side if desired.

The basement liner will most likely be flexible, not rigid. How easy or hard it will be to install will depend on the flue ID. Do you know what it is?
That’s what I’m thinking at this point for the second side. I’ll need to do the angle with some square tube at the corner for structural support. The existing steel support in the corner appears to be bowing and therefore some of the chimney is cracking as it settles in that area. Need to stop it in its tracks.

I’m thinking of dropping a piece of flex attached to rigid, with the flex just long enough to get through the offset. It’s an 8x10. Both flues I’ll plan to do a stop plate and insulate with mineral wool at the top and bottom.

I finally have all the pipe to get the upper installed so once it is I’ll try to load some pics and more once I get the side enclosed. Been a slow going to get it all done.

Here is the initial install. Perforated enclosure will be coming soon along with some other finishes.

6E2B24D3-CE95-4D9C-8E4C-948DAE9348F8.jpeg