First inside burn in Madison?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silenced38

Feeling the Heat
Apr 11, 2014
Southeast Oklahoma
Ok built a small fire in the Madison. Its 62* outside and 73* inside. The chimney is 15 ft 6 inches tall. Had a hard time getting a draft started. Its been burning for over a hour. The stove top is 450*. The operating temps are suppose to be between 300* and 550*. Im burning pine. it is about a 1/4 of a load. There are no secondary burn, lots of smoke comin out of the flue, and smoke spilling into the house when you open the door. The wood was showing 16% on a fresh split. I turned it down when it reached 425*.
What am i doing wrong?

Last edited:
Try opening a window close to the stove, I always have to do this in the early burn season.

With mild outside temps you may need to leave the door cracked open for a bit to get the fire going.
And this, forgot that.......

Yeah with a short pipe, 62 degrees outside and an Okie running the stove, native Texan had to say that ::-), starting a draft is gonna be tough. Like folks said, the best bet is leaving the door cracked until the pipe gets hot. But the best bet is waiting until it is 50 degrees or cooler outside.

Not enough differential between temps inside the house and outside for good draft.

i have several windows open. i figured it was still too warm outside. it was burning good but not really roaring with the damper all the way open. its gona get down in the mid 50s tonite ill try again in the morning.

Yeah with a short pipe, 62 degrees outside and an Okie running the stove, native Texan had to say that ::-), starting a draft is gonna be tough. Like folks said, the best bet is leaving the door cracked until the pipe gets hot. But the best bet is waiting until it is 50 degrees or cooler outside.

Not enough differential between temps inside the house and outside for good draft.
thats ok my wife was a Texican. i rescued her and got her outta there!

Reactions: BrotherBart
Heres a pic of it burning.
image.jpg

Reactions: osagebow
Sweet. That is what I call a big door glass. Let us know how the stove does for ya.

Anyone have a link for info on the Madison ?

I had the same issue yesterday, I kept the door cracked open, once the fire got rolling it broke that thermal balance and operated as normal, I kept the fires small, it was mainly an ambiance / just cleaned the whole stove and chimney and needed to make a fire kinda day, glad I did.. it was nice and relaxing, maybe another small one tonight.

Yeah. It was 56* outside this morning. Around 68* in the house. Got it going. Brought it up to about 525* seamed to be burning good. But never would get any secondary burn. And smoke from the flue pipe the whole time. It just wouldnt ever start burning clean. I had the damper wide open the whole time. Flames have been out for around 2.5 hours still have coals and stove top temp of about 250* so that seams good. But i dont understand why its not burning clean. And at 525* the acc trigger never tripped. Idk. Mabe still not cold enough?

Would you mind saying how much you paid for the stove and where you got it? I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere. Thanks,
I paid $986 after taxes i think. Some where round there. I got i at sutherlands. I email englander and they said only sutherlands right now. Lowes and homedepot later.

Yeah. It was 56* outside this morning. Around 68* in the house. Got it going. Brought it up to about 525* seamed to be burning good. But never would get any secondary burn. And smoke from the flue pipe the whole time. It just wouldnt ever start burning clean. I had the damper wide open the whole time. Flames have been out for around 2.5 hours still have coals and stove top temp of about 250* so that seams good. But i dont understand why its not burning clean. And at 525* the acc trigger never tripped. Idk. Mabe still not cold enough?
Its not cold enough or your wood is wet.

But never would get any secondary burn. And smoke from the flue pipe the whole time. It just wouldnt ever start burning clean. I had the damper wide open the whole time.

You won't see secondary burn with the primary air wide open. As the primary air is closed, secondary air is drawn in from another opening and thru the tubes at the top of the firebox. This also requires a decent draft, which may be difficult with mild outside temps.

What type of thermometer do you have? Some cheaper magnetic thermos aren't really famous for their accuracy.

You won't see secondary burn with the primary air wide open. As the primary air is closed, secondary air is drawn in from another opening and thru the tubes at the top of the firebox. This also requires a decent draft, which may be difficult with mild outside temps.

What type of thermometer do you have? Some cheaper magnetic thermos aren't really famous for their accuracy.

as jeff says for thermometers.... Condar is on the higher end and if you run a rutland you might as well scrap it.......

I see your cat has already staked his/her place in front of the stove.

We adopted two cats in the late spring. Tonight was my first fire, shoulder wood to take the chill off for the morning...... both cats were enthralled.

Condar is on the higher end and if you run a rutland you might as well scrap it.......

My Rutland thermometers' feelings are hurt. ;lol

I have two that agree with my IR non-contact thermo on the dot.

We adopted two cats in the late spring. Tonight was my first fire, shoulder wood to take the chill off for the morning...... both cats were enthralled.

Before he died, at age 18 1/2, my wife's cat used to sit in front of the stove when it was not burning and look at me with a "When ya gonna light this sucker?" look on his face. The Woodpile Panther now sleeps in front of it every night in Winter.

My Rutland thermometers' feelings are hurt. ;lol

I have two that agree with my IR non-contact thermo on the dot.

Both my Rutlands were about 50° off, no big deal. I think a renter dropped something on one, because it read around 250° on the cold stove. Just sayin, it's a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.