first post VC vigilant loading door temp? couple other ?s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

racing01

Nov 13, 2008
north jersey
i have an older vigilant. pretty sure is a 1983 by the casting date on the doors but anyway it was free and seems to be tight and in good working order. i am still in the process of learning cause i've only been burning about a month. first question is how hot is too hot for the front doors to get? after i get some nice coals and the griddles about 650 the left front door has spots that reach close to 750 with the ir. its always the left door so im guessing it could be burning hot from the air inlet being on that side? is that too hot? this is usually when i decide to switch the damper and just let it cruise but i'm a bit of a worry wart and i'm constantly checking temps. My second question would be does no smoke out the chimney = no substantial creosote? by the way this site is awesome. i dont think i could have made it this far with my stove if it werent for spending many hours searching this site! Thanks

Since that stove is mostly single wall, those temps are what is to be expected, maybe even going higher when a very good bed of coals is present.

The damper switching may differ - it will be one way when it is the first load or a load after a long burn, and yet another when you have a very large bed of coals. When you have a large load of coals, you can probably go to downdraft right away after reload.

You are on the right track with less smoke....less smoke = better burning and less creosote.

thanks for the response. I just get a little paranoid sometimes. Its really funny that having a box of fire in the living room can be so fun and fascinating but at the same time that very same box of fire can work your nerves a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.