First Post--Woodburner Under Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Sep 21, 2006
I have a fireplace in the living room that rarely gets used for two reasons. The first reason is lack of efficiency the second reason; my wife doesn't like ashes near the light colored carpet. This kills the thought of getting a wood insert since I would like to use it frequently to heat the house. I don't want to pay to run a gas insert either. I would like a wood burner in the basement (unfinished with 9' ceiling) and would like to know:
1. It is possible to put the wood burner under the existing fireplace, exit the basement and tie back into the existing chimney? Code violations?
2. If possible, what is needed to convert the existing furnace/water heater vent to a chimney?
Please excuse my ignorance and thanks for the help.

What one could do is install a liner from under the fireplace box break out the hearth floor threw the damper and up the rest of the fireplace flue to the top. There have been many recent post about lack od preformance / heat from stoves in unconditioned basements. They plain don't work that well all the heat is absorbed by the concrete foundation wall and never gets to the living space.
The insert in the living space is the way to go Maybe a compromise with an area hearth rug will change your wife's objections.

(The rug is not inplace of any require hearth pad none are listed to serve as such)

Welcome aboard

Installing the stove down there is feasible, but as Elk said, unfinished (uninsulated) basements are poor locations for stoves. The stove will lose a good amount of the heat it creates trying to overcome to heat loss through the uninsulated concrete block walls.

Insulate the basment and then install the stove, or convince the wife you'll be REALLY careful with the ashes.

Throw out the dander, fungus, pet hair , dead skin. and and other filth hiding rug and get some nice tile work and black walnut flooring put in place.
Tell the wife your did for her health and I bet she will love the wood or pellet burner if you take care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.