First re-light since late December

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClintonH

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2014
NW OH
Well, after visiting the in-laws and being gone for more than 24 hours, I finally had to re-light the Quad. Technically I could have revived the few coals I had left, but I decided a full ash clean-out was more useful. 6 weeks of 24/7 and all of that subzero weather: she sure got a good work out!!! How long do you folks go between lights? All I know is it sure saves on kindling! ;)

I have been letting mine go out at night the last couple of nights to try and save some wood although not sure I've saved any. The wood pile has taken a big hit this winter so I will be letting the stove go cold more often for longer periods of time. Who knows what March might have in store for us

It's been a few weeks. Any time I can let it go out without losing too much room temp, I take the opportunity to clean the glass and maybe blow ash off the cat.
Looks like the stove will go out in about a week....50s are in the forecast! A week is a long way off, though, forecast could change....

I can usually relight from 18-24 hour old coals if I'm patient enough with it. Usually it's more prudent to just clean it all out and start over.

Mine went out Feb 2, for the first time since November. Had the chimney sweeps give the stove a checkup and had the chimney an cap cleaned.
The second they left it was re-lit, with -20::F temps it got a little chilly in the house by Monday morning.

If it hits 50℉ today the fire will be going out.

I don't remember the last time we had to start a fire in our stove but it will not bother me if it gets warm enough so we can let the stove go out.

begreen, you should be about ready to be seeing flowers by now aren't you?

I don't remember the last time we had to start a fire in our stove but it will not bother me if it gets warm enough so we can let the stove go out.

begreen, you should be about ready to be seeing flowers by now aren't you?

He posted pics of some flowers and green plants about two weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.