First "real" fire and first impressions of my PE D1 insert (with pictures!!!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqgs214

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2006
Riverhead, NY
Well the smell is finally gone. Took 5 break -ins. To say it simply, I LOVE IT! Fired her up last night round 6:15 was 50 deg outside. Knew it was going to upper 30's last night. My wood supply is all red oak so I have no shoulder season wood so I only loaded 3 small splits after she got going. Well that quicky brought the surface temp, ( I have my thermometer above the right hand side of the door and feel I get a good reading there as its a single wall (i think)) up to 700deg. Secondaries cruising nicely. BTW this stove makes some funky secondary fire. Its not like the "classic" burn tubes with fire shooting out. THis baffle has one row of outlets down the center and a row across the front. I creates a very turbulant secondary flame, almost like to outwardly spiraling circles. Well those 3 small spits burned until about 9:00 pm when the surface temp dropped back down to about 350 I loaded in 5 decent splits. Could have fit a couple more but didnt want to push it yet as I'm still learning this stove and the 700deg scared my a little with only 3 splits. I wanted to see what she could do for a decent overnight. at 9:15 it was 75 deg inside 43 outside. Closed the air inlet as far as it would go. (this stove needs that with my draft. (19FT of 6" flex liner with poured insulation on an exterior masonry chimney). Looked like the fire would sustain itself at a nice slow roll so off to bed we went.) Woke up at 6:30 and still 70deg in the house, 38 outside, the stove top temp was 150deg with some coals left over, but the biggest thing was the temp of the bricks. They were not too hot to touch but were very warm. Last year with my DW2500 insert I did not have the poured insulation and the bricks never got very warm. The thermal mass of that brick should release heat for hours today. Then the sun will warm the house and be ready for a nice small fire again tonight. Now all I need to do is bend my baffle a little straighter and see if it makes much difference. Seems this is a verstile little stove, can run it hot with a few splits or cooler and longer filling her up. I know most stoves can probably do that but my DW2500 was so small it could not handle enough wood for the long haul. When it gets really cold I'll bore you all again with another update and I'll wait until that time to post my review. So far so GREAT!

Edit: here are some pictures:

Attachments

• 100_0879.jpg
    100_0879.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 370
  • 100_0875.jpg
    100_0875.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 427
Glad you like it.

You have a pic of the baffle? Unless it's real bad I would leave it. It's a piece of steel that has been bent and welded into a box, doesn't have to be flat as glass, as long as there are no leaks it will be fine. If you do remove it be mindfull of the gasket at the supply/baffle area.

Yeah I know that gasket. I gotta order a couple from Tom when I get the brain to remember to do it. Not sure if it leaks but it might just a little. I can see the gasket edge. The center back edge of the baffle is bent upward about a 1/4" in the center.

Gonna bump this up as I had a question for Tom if hes sees this. I didnt see it in the manual but was are the overfire temps for my stove, is my placemant of my thermometer ok? and what temps should I be getting.

Hey Wxman,

You've got your thermometer in the right spot for the insert. On a fresh load, bring her up to about 700 at that spot, then close down for your long burn. It should rise a bit at first, then settle in at about 600, falling to 500 or so after a couple hours. Avoid sustained temps above 700, and you'll be fine.

Yeah, thats about what I did. Did not go above 700 and it did settle to 600-625. Good to know I am using it correctly out of the box. Thanks for the reply.

Congrats Wxman!!! Welcome to the PE Elite :)
Seriously though, leave the baffle as is, it will be just fine. If it works, don't fix it.
Spend the time to get to know the insert and you will love it even more.
If I remember correctly????? You had one of the DW's that had the support weld separation? And then a bunch of crap to get the dealer to agree to a problem then swap it out for the PE? A real PITA, but look what came of it. A blessing in disguise. Down the road you will be seeing its the best thing that could have happened.
Enjoy and congrats again.

Oh yeah, ummmm PICTURES OF FIRE!!!!!!!! You know the drill!

Yeah, took a couple gotta post em. Maybe tonight when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.