first stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattd81

Nov 21, 2007
ma
I am thinking about buying a wood stove? I really want the homstead but its a little over my budget? So i might go with the craftsbury in a black matte finish ($1,295)?
My main concern is how to vent the stove? Should i install myself or wait for a pro to install? I will be venting it up the brick fire place. I have seen the existing fireplace kits for around 500 (flex)??? any info wood be awsome!

The install depends on how handy you are with tools.
NOT TO DISCOUNT WHAT THE PROS HERE DO FOR A LIVING BECAUSE I KNOW THEY WORK HARD but it certainly isnt rocket science.

Dropping a chimney liner is really no big deal - at least I would think compared to putting Class A through an attic or roof. Lots of folks here have done it, including me. Now, this is assuming a straight chimney that is in good condition: lined with terra cotta tiles in good shape. You need to start there. The hard part, at least in my experience, was cutting out the damper and making the block off plate. This required the most mechanical knowledge/tool use. But, before we talk tools, what's the roof pitch and would you feel comfortable being up there working?

I would start by having your current chimney and fireplace cleaned and inspected. If there are no issues with the current set up and you are a fairly handy DIY'er, you should be able to do the install yourself.

As said, dropping a liner down the chimney is not a complicated process (it can be a bit challenging). You'll need to install a top plate where the liner exits the chimney an a blockoff plate where the liner passes through the damper opening. Connect the liner to your stove and you're done. Well, it's almost that easy.

Use the search feature on the site and do some reading about installs, there are some really good threads describing installations members have done (many with good pictures). Read your owner's manual and be sure you are familiar with the manufacturer's requirements ahead of time.

With that information a buddy or two (stoves are heavy) and a case of beer for after the works done, you should be fine.

As all have said before... it is certainly something you can do yourself. It depends a lot on your ability, and how comfortable you may be cutting out the damper (if you have to). If you are not really familiar with what you are working with - I think the best place to start (as MrGriz indicated) is to have the chimney cleaned and inspected.

If you could share some of the house layout and existing fireplace details.... I'm sure you will get lots of opinions as to what stove might work best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.