First time buyer - Thoughts on Timberwolf EPI22

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD78

Dec 31, 2012
Hi. I have a very nice, but rather useless (other than visually) masonry fireplace that I want to put an insert in. I live in Oklahoma. I know, not exactly the Arctic, but we do have our share of cold weather here and I'm gonna burn wood regardless so I might as well get something out of it. I've got 2 inserts I've been quoted a price on. One is a Timberwolf EPI22, about $1500 before install. The other a Regency I24, $2600 before install. So what are the opinions on this Timberwolf? Obviously, I'd rather spend $1500 than $2600, but what's the Regency going to offer me that the Timberwolf will not? I've looked at both online, but can't really decipher much because I'm igorant. My house is 2300+ square feet. I have fairly adequate heating as is so I don't HAVE to heat the entire house with this stove, but I'm definitely expecting it to contribute heavily during cold snaps to save on the gas bill. Thanks.

I don't know if .5 cubic foot is worth 1100 bux more but I am firm believer in bigger is better......but is .5 cubic feet worth 1100 bux more. Others may come with construction quality or something.

Yeah, I seem to be able to find a lot of info and reviews on the Regency (mainly all positive), but my searches on the Timberwolf aren't turning up much in the way of opinions or reviews.

The Regency sits a little farther out of the fireplace and has a better blower design. Both should contribute to better heating. I don't have either insert but Regency makes a good product that competes with Napoleons main line stoves. The Timberwolf line is in the "value stove" world. Nothing wrong with that for sure, I am a fan of value stoves and burn in one, but the differences are there. Including in this case extra firebox size. For a long term investment like a wood stove I would go with the Regency.

And yep as a native West Texan I can attest to the fact that sometimes the only thing between you Okies and the North Pole is a barbwire fence.

Yeah, I seem to be able to find a lot of info and reviews on the Regency (mainly all positive), but my searches on the Timberwolf aren't turning up much in the way of opinions or reviews.

The Timberwolf line hasn't been out all that long. And pretty much is sold through the online channel. No money in'em for dealers.

Thanks for the replies. Another thing that just hit me is the distance some of these inserts extend out of the fireplace. My hearth only extends about 8" from the fireplace so that might limit me. THe only thing I've seen from the brands this store sells that doesn't extend too far out is a Montpelier model from Vermont Castings...

Those look like they are 18-22" for hearth extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.