first time pellet stove purchase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok guys, purchased a new P68, will take delivery sometime in the next month. I am thinking i should reline my chimney with a stainless unit. Maybe Rockford?? It is a block/ brick lined with terra cotta 8 inch ,or 6 1/2 inch inside the terracotta. The red brick is essentially from the attic to the very top. Its solid but is showing some wear. I would like to top off the chimney from the flashing to the top and maybe reline with stainless.

Any recommended brands or sizes or one with the insulation integral with the stainless pipe?

Installed Harman in 2008 and only replaced the igniter. Still going strong. Last two years I have been using very cheap Propane in our new boiler. Before that burned 3 ton a year.

We love our pellet stove in the living room where we spend most of our awake time. I personally would never consider warming the downstairs with pellets to heat the upstairs. Cost versus benefit would be questionable. Cost of fuel is changing significatly. When I first started using pellet stove in 2008, pellets were $200/ton and Fuel Oil was in $3 to $4 per gallon range. The best part was we could keep the living room toasty warm at 74F and bedrooms down the hallway at 65F.

Installed Harman in 2008 and only replaced the igniter. Still going strong. Last two years I have been using very cheap Propane in our new boiler. Before that burned 3 ton a year.

We love our pellet stove in the living room where we spend most of our awake time. I personally would never consider warming the downstairs with pellets to heat the upstairs. Cost versus benefit would be questionable. Cost of fuel is changing significatly. When I first started using pellet stove in 2008, pellets were $200/ton and Fuel Oil was in $3 to $4 per gallon range. The best part was we could keep the living room toasty warm at 74F and bedrooms down the hallway at 65F.

In post #7, the OP says they are not trying to heat the upstairs, just the music room is important.

Around here, propane is not cheap and I've done everything I can to get rid of most uses. I do still keep my propane water heater as it doesn't need electricity to run. So even during apower outage I dould take a nice hot bath if I wanted to :)

home heating fuel prices 3-8-2022.JPG