First time wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2BblHarold

Jul 2, 2016
TN
Hi folks-
Thanks for all the great info I've gathered here. This summer I will install my first wood burning stove, a Lopi Answer. Before I do anything wrong, I want to ask about the stove pipe. I'll have approximately 20 feet of straight-up pipe. The run will be 10 feet up from the stovetop to the drywall ceiling, then 6 feet through open air garage space, then 4 feet above the roof. I have to check the code on that height. I'm thinking I need to use a double wall insulated pipe at the ceiling and the roofline, but the rest can be single wall. Does this sound correct? Also, do I need to use some type of sealant…furnace cement…on the joints?
Thanks!

Welcome. Yes you can use single wall for the stove pipe connector. At the ceiling it must transition to high-temp insulated chimney pipe, aka class A pipe. If you use single-wall stove pipe be sure that it has at least 18" clearance from any combustible. It is highly radiant. No need for sealant at the stove pipe or chimney joints. Be sure that the stove pipe crimps are pointed down toward the stove.

At the ceiling it must transition to high-temp insulated chimney pipe, aka class A pipe.
Would that be, "at 18 inches from ceiling, it must transition..."?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would look pretty awful. 18" from side wall or from the top of a horiz. sw pipe. Most ceiling support boxes allow single-wall to be closer unless the ceiling is sloped and the side clearance comes into play.

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.28.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.28.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.28.45 PM.png

Reactions: Ashful
Good to know. Having my stoves located inside fireplaces, single-wall clearances to ceiling aren't an issue I've researched before.

Status
Not open for further replies.